Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2013, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I actually found one major annoyance after the review was posted. The damn alarm on this thing isn't hardware-based which means you have to keep the phone on during the night if you actually want it to wake you up on time....
Aren't all new phones like that? I don't think I have ever had a phone that would have an alarm go off when it wasn't on.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:19 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Aren't all new phones like that? I don't think I have ever had a phone that would have an alarm go off when it wasn't on.
And I HATE IT. *Hugs Blackberry*
Old January 15, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I actually found one major annoyance after the review was posted. The damn alarm on this thing isn't hardware-based which means you have to keep the phone on during the night if you actually want it to wake you up on time....
I believe that is blackberry specific, a nice feature indeed, but if you just use airplane mode instead of powering the phone down it'll last a couple of weeks on standby anyways, not much reason to power the device off these days
Old January 15, 2013, 09:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
I learned this the hard way and I wasn't too impressed. If a Curve 9300 can do it, and my PlayBook can do it, why can't a $600+ phone do it?

Still love the phone though. I can't believe I get a solid two days of fairly heavy use out of it.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My assumption is RIM has some sort of patent on this because absolutely no one else has done this IIRC and it can't be that hard to do.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Asking for my cousin who is moving out at the end of the month.

Can anyone recommend a good audio dock for the Note II?

I'm not too sure what's out there on the Android market, or specifically one that is catered towards the Note II. I think I've seen one or two in stores before but can't remember what they were.

An internet search yields some Samsung docks that are far out of her price range.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
Asking for my cousin who is moving out at the end of the month.

Can anyone recommend a good audio dock for the Note II?

I'm not too sure what's out there on the Android market, or specifically one that is catered towards the Note II. I think I've seen one or two in stores before but can't remember what they were.

An internet search yields some Samsung docks that are far out of her price range.
Does she need charging? If its just audio I would stick with a set of bluetooth speakers:
The Great Bluetooth Speaker Roundup: 8 Of Our Favorites Compared

The GN2 has the updated BT audio format (Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that is supposed to help with audio quality.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 16, 2013, 04:20 PM
MVP

I don't use Blackberry devices, but my understanding is that the default 'turn off' function is an aggressive power saving mode as opposed to 'full power off' which completes a full shutdown. In the latter, the alarm is not functional. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can emulate this in Android by creating an aggressive power saving profile that would still allow the alarm to function.

Last edited by Desiato; January 16, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

interesting hardware information... still... overkill...

too big for my pocket...

one year later, tablet will come into smartphone... or smartphone into tablet... ;\
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Does she need charging? If its just audio I would stick with a set of bluetooth speakers:
The Great Bluetooth Speaker Roundup: 8 Of Our Favorites Compared

The GN2 has the updated BT audio format (Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that is supposed to help with audio quality.
I think she wants charging, which in my research limits me to...the Phillips audiodock, or some combination of the GNII Samsung dock.

I will ask her about the BT option though.