Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2012, 05:43 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
cameras are just about as good as actual point and shoot cameras...
sorry, but that's strictly not true. When's the last time you saw zoom on a popular mainstream smartphone? How about comparing the low-light performance between a P&S and any smartphone (besides the 808 - which hardly counts as a smartphone; not that anyone has it anyways)?

manufacturers need to start making thicker phones; that solves the poor camera performance AND gives us a bigger battery.
Old December 21, 2012, 03:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
For those who like to get an official Samsung battery; you can buy the battery all by itself for $40, or you can buy a battery charging cradle for $40, that includes a free battery :) I got one from eXpansys.

Also, the Note II will charge very quickly if you can get a high amperage charger; the best i was able to find locally was a Blackberry charger that runs at 2.1a. the other charger (I have a car charger that is '2.0a', but is really 2x1.0a) takes much longer of course.
There are also batteries for as low as 4 bucks on eBay for this phone as well. 3500mah, same as what the phone comes with. Yeah it's ebay, probably not as good as the OEM batteries, but hey, 4 bucks and it holds a charge. Can't go wrong with that IMO.

And I don't know if anyone has seen these yet, but I think these are hilarious.
6500mAh Extended Battery + Cover Case For Samsung GALAXY Note 2 N7100 4G White | eBay
It's a 6500mah battery for the Note 2, supposedly holds more than double the charge of the stock battery and because the battery is so big, it includes a back cover that curves out in order for the battery to fit. I think I'm going to buy one of these for the hell of it.
Old December 21, 2012, 05:28 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I would wait until a company like Anker or someone like Mugen makes this available: [HLI-N7100XL] Buy Mugen Power 6400mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with Battery Door

A little more pricey for sure...I would not trust an $8 extended battery. I had some Andida batteries for my Note I that were pretty good but I have not seen them.

Also, you might want to make sure that upgrading to batteries like these does not affect NFC functionality if thats important.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I would wait until a company like Anker or someone like Mugen makes this available: [HLI-N7100XL] Buy Mugen Power 6400mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with Battery Door

A little more pricey for sure...I would not trust an $8 extended battery. I had some Andida batteries for my Note I that were pretty good but I have not seen them.

Also, you might want to make sure that upgrading to batteries like these does not affect NFC functionality if thats important.
Whilst mugen batteries are great I have always found their prices a complete joke.

Anker is great, I had one for my note1 and it's just as good as the stock battery and it was $10 (even after 3-4 months). I highly recommend anker for any phone, don't bother with OEM.
Old December 21, 2012, 07:37 PM
MVP

I *really* want a note 2, but I can't imagine taking one everywhere I go, which is a bit necessary for a phone. I don't want a belt clip or holster either. I have considered purchasing one to use as a secondary device, basically as a 5.5" tablet, but then there's the hassle of carrying around two devices.
Old December 22, 2012, 04:09 AM
Allstar

^ so what DO you want exactly?

if you want a certain screen size, then you have to get that screen size. We don't have expandable screens yet.

your only option is to buy the noteII and a smaller everydaycarry phone and just transfer the sim card as necessary.
Old December 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I *really* want a note 2, but I can't imagine taking one everywhere I go, which is a bit necessary for a phone. I don't want a belt clip or holster either. I have considered purchasing one to use as a secondary device, basically as a 5.5" tablet, but then there's the hassle of carrying around two devices.
Get a nexus 7 and use regular sized phone. Save the several hundred dollars.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:50 PM
Trial Member

To add, you can avoid the 'juggling' between the S Pen and the capacitive Menu/Back buttons by using some command gestures with the S Pen.

While holding the button down, draw a '<' to go Back, and draw a '^' to bring up the Menu.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Anyone switch from a GS3 to the Note II? How was the experience, is the Note II too big versus the GS3?
Old January 15, 2013, 03:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I actually found one major annoyance after the review was posted. The damn alarm on this thing isn't hardware-based which means you have to keep the phone on during the night if you actually want it to wake you up on time....