Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Microsoft Announces Full Surface Pro Specs; Starts at $899, Launches in January (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/58226-microsoft-announces-full-surface-pro-specs-starts-899-launches-january.html)

SKYMTL November 30, 2012 07:32 PM

Microsoft Announces Full Surface Pro Specs; Starts at $899, Launches in January

Thicker, heavier and with only half the battery life of Microsoft’s Surface RT, the Pro version’s $899 starting price could be a bitter pill to swallow come January.

Read more here: Microsoft Announces Full Surface Pro Specs; Starts at $899, Launches in January | Hardware Canucks

:doh:

botat29 November 30, 2012 07:45 PM

LOL they can't even launch it for Xmas, what a fail :doh: and office is not include ?

Mars November 30, 2012 09:45 PM

There are really no surprises here, they'd long ago announced specs (i5 cpu, so obviously worse battery life than ARM), size (thicker than the RT, since it needs a fan), software (Windows 8 Pro, so no Office) and price (comparable to ultrabooks).

SKYMTL December 1, 2012 08:44 AM

Actually, supposedly it is fanless. Notice the lack of ventilation areas on the chassis.

Mars December 1, 2012 08:59 AM

It has ventilation ports, they're hidden on the back top edge all around the chassis where the kickstand isn't.

Mobile i5 is minimum 17W TDP, I don't think there exist any portable products with that kind of TDP that aren't actively cooled.

Clovertrail can do fanless, but it's got a 2W TDP, Haswell pushes down to 10W, which might be able to do fanless.

Generic User #2 December 1, 2012 02:22 PM

hm, ventilation slots are totally fine with me. a fan is not; that thing is going to get the crap beat out of it and I don't want to deal with noise either.

EDIT:

think they underclocked? or got the best binned chips from intel?

stoanee December 1, 2012 07:20 PM

I think I am interested in this, will see how the roll-out goes.

dustin1706 December 1, 2012 07:46 PM

Hmmm... I was planning to get rid of my infinity and get the surface pro. I really hope that it has more than 4 hours of battery life.

Will wait and see what it's like,but I may end up going with a small ultrabook instead.

chrisk December 1, 2012 09:30 PM

Won't be available in Canada in January according to this:
Microsoft's Surface Pro launching in January, priced high | MobileSyrup.com

Any ETAs for Canada?

muse108dc December 2, 2012 02:41 AM

Am I the only one thats not at all surprised by this price and is satisfied with it? I was hoping for 800 but was expecting 1k for the entry level pro. Its not high in my mind, your getting a lot more than the non pro model or ipad.

Anyways, I wont be preordering I dont think BUT I do think I will be picking one of these up. Battery life does seem low at 4 hours, I hope that improves, and weight I can live with. Full windows + a stylus should work wonders, RT is too gimped to be useful to me.