Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Google Nexus 4′s “Disabled” LTE Can Be Enabled (How To) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/58058-google-nexus-4-s-disabled-lte-can-enabled-how.html)

SKYMTL November 23, 2012 12:05 PM

Google Nexus 4′s “Disabled” LTE Can Be Enabled (How To)

According to Google, their new Nexus 4 smartphone doesn't come equipped with high speed LTE. However, some enterprising Canadians have found a way to enable LTE on certain networks.

Read more here: Google Nexus 4′s “Disabled” LTE Can Be Enabled (How To) | Hardware Canucks

:clap:

Jebusman November 24, 2012 06:59 AM

I can sort of half confirm this should work on Eastlink's LTE network whenever we get around to actually launching it, FYI for the people in Nova Scotia.

bojangles November 24, 2012 06:37 PM

LG and their half-assed products. Nexus phones are supposed to set an example of the future of smartphones. Not having LTE these days is a setback. C'mon LG, if you were going to add LTE you should've at least added an amplifier!

Eluder November 26, 2012 08:33 AM

It wasn't LG's choice for the device to launch w/o LTE, that would have been Google's decision.

b1lk1 November 26, 2012 11:23 AM

Google seems to love their products to be gimped in some fashion.

BigPhatPaulie November 26, 2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 673548)

Lol google wanted this nexus to be "affordable" smartphone without a contract... when in reality its actually pushing people away from it rather than drawing them in it seems

Sagath November 26, 2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 673548)

Google = Apple? :haha:

LarkStarr November 26, 2012 06:59 PM

I don't see how the phone is 'gimped' with the exclusion of LTE. HS(D)PA is plenty quick, and LTE is known to be a fraking battery sucker. The phone's board is clearly shared with other LG products, the fact that they didn't have to design a whole new layout/architecture is where some of the cost savings comes from.

I'm pretty picky with technology usually, but I usually disable LTE on my phone for better battery savings.

I want someone to honestly say they can't live without LTE connectivity. I'm not saying it doesn't help or it isn't faster, it's just not really a deal breaker, at least for me. Hell the phone's otherwise pretty damn high end for $300-$350! You can't get a used iPhone 4 for that price! The small entrants (Wind, public, etc) are going to have a ball with this.

b1lk1 November 26, 2012 07:03 PM

Forcing cloud storage in an environment where internet is expensive and low caps. That is always a deal breaker for me and many others. That is what I call gimped.

Jake_HT November 26, 2012 07:12 PM

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the phone is $300 :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whis tle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:: whistle::whistle:

Name me a phone for even $500 that is better than the N4. It has the fastest processor on a smartphone right now, 2GB of RAM, a very competetive screen, the nicest/"highest" quality built android phone to date, OK battery life, and runs stock android with updates from google.

It now has LTE in canada. So the only thing this phone doesn't have is a lot of storage. So you get it $3-400 off. And you guys still bitch!!!!!! :blarg:

And I don't think the phone would have sold out in 15 minutes if nobody wanted it