Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well, LTE certainly isn't a quantum leap forward in performance like say an SSD is over an HDD but I feel it is one of those things where once you have it you definitely don't want to go back. My iPad Retina w/ LTE works much faster than my friends' Playbooks on 3G... after awhile they just gave up looking up things using their browsers and we all converged on my iPad.

Old November 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

You guys have to consider there's more at work then just the connectivity between LTE and HS(D)PA. The CPU in these small devices, RAM too in some cases make the world of difference with processing websites (browsing software too!) and starting up apps. It's super hard to compare an ancient BB single cored @ 600 mhz then an S4 (pro) at 1.5ghz with four times the amount of RAM. I'm not denying LTE has significant advantages in speed, latency, range, etc, but all other things being mostly equal, The differences between them, when they are even noticeable, are indeed as per Sky, not a game-changer, and IMO, not worth the more significant decrease in battery life. But that being said, oh boy is it fast when it's enabled and you're in a good area!

@b1lk1 - I'm hardly frothing, I'm trying to get your head out of your respective arse mate, and look at things from a different perspective other then if a device has expandable storage, and what considerations that means. And I do like Google perhaps, but more so I like the phone they're offering and the competition it can bring. You originally replied to a post under which LTE was mentioned as the 'gimp' - so that was my original response. My opinions do not only lead to this particular phone though. There are many other phones out there that I would find acceptable without LTE (Like the S2X, for sure! great phone, though not as technologically advanced as more modern devices) or expandable storage (iPhone?), not just the nexus. Clearly iPhone sales indicate that either there really are iSheep in this world (My personal opinion ;) or that expandable storage doesn't massively matter to much to most smartphone purchasers. It's all a matter of perspective, but if a phone seriously came with a TB of space, you'd still want expandable storage? Why? You've yet to communicate your reasoning other then it's 'gimped' or 'I want this CAUSE I SAID SO'. You talk about the phone's one flaw and call it outright gimped, and I believe that your perspective is a little one tracked in that regard and extremely short-sighted. I think your hate of Google is also playing in here too. As I said, it's not a fit for everybody, but it's a big umbrella that covers most folk. e-penis fits into an equation when deciding on a phone more often then I think people realize.

For full disclosure, I have a 16GB GS3, which comes with both LTE and expandable storage. And yes I currently have a nice SD card in there, so I've used a device with both LTE and more memory, and I can say that I would not miss it if they weren't there.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

To each their own I guess, I simply can't go back to HSPA, the overall experience with LTE is enough for me that going to a 3G device would feel like I'm years behind.
The other thing you have to keep in mind, is that since these phones are becoming so fast, you don't want to have to wait for the network to get things going. The Note II and Optimus G are prime examples of just how fast current Android devices are, and if those phones were on HSPA, you probably wouldn't benefit from their amazing hardware.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Well, LTE certainly isn't a quantum leap forward in performance like say an SSD is over an HDD but I feel it is one of those things where once you have it you definitely don't want to go back. My iPad Retina w/ LTE works much faster than my friends' Playbooks on 3G... after awhile they just gave up looking up things using their browsers and we all converged on my iPad.
To be fair and iPad is much faster than a playbook in general... My GF's playbook doesn't even turn on anymore lol
Old November 28, 2012, 03:59 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Nexus 4 is the best phone (IMO of course) in its price range. The performance specs will make the phone relevant for a very long time.

Only thing for me, as it is for others, is storage. I love to cache maps when I travel, and have movies stored for long flights. Games will tend to use 500mb a piece as well. Turn-by-turn nav programs hog lots of space too. I like to have lots of pictures on there. I also use it as a mass storage device to transfer multimedia projects from home to work. My 16GB GN2 has already complained a few times that my onboard storage is low. I have owned it for about a month.

16GB does not cut it for my needs, and this is not including any music at all. If I relied on 'the cloud' I would go through 6GB fairly quickly. I hate having to rely on network connectivity for important stuff like maps too...you are bound to lose connectivity when you want it the most.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 28, 2012, 05:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What people like larkstarr don't even try to realize is that some of us actually put lots of games, I have 3 that are over 500mb and 2 over 1gb, some legal music that I stream in my car that I don't compress do death so there's another 10GB+ easily. I also carry around documents that I need, there's another 500MB. 16GB is laughable today. What I think is even more laughable is the $50 premium for 8more GB of space. Quite possibly the strangest move of all time here is adding a slim HDMI port. So, even a slimmed down rip of an HD movie is ~1GB, what do I delete to have a few movies onboard.....

But how DARE I dismiss the pure googly awesomeness of this phone. It truly is the bestest you can get today, no way it will be surpassed any time soon, well maybe in a few months, but not soon.

This phone is like a kickass high end kids toy. Insane specs, and I am not being sarcastic there at all. It truly has the best current hardware specs out. It's just sad that they continue to choose to leave out expandable storage. To me, having LTE hardware without the possibility of it working properly so they disable it makes that a huge gimp. Like it or not, it is.

Now if one could just get one for the retail price and not $600 on Ebay right now........
Old November 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I was lucky to have an american friend buy one for me yesterday. Im looking forward to using it even though I never really found my BB 9790 disappointing. I just have to try Android and look at developing some software for it. HSPA was fast enough when I had a BB 9900 and I only have 1gb of data on my plan so LTE isn't too important to me. I will try activating it when I get my phone. Most of the time, I am within range of WiFi anyways. I was a bit disappointed to hear that there is no SD card support, but I never loaded my BlackBerry with music and movies anyway and didn't fill a 2gb card with pictures and video I recorded. I have an ipod and playbook for that. $360 for an unlocked phone with those specs and app support is too hard to pass up. My brother paid $700 for his GS3 which is also a really nice phone, but I couldn't justify switching from BB for that much money. Even if I don't end up liking the GN4, I'm sure I can flip it for what I paid for it.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I may be using a Blackberry but for the last month I had been using a Galaxy Note II on LTE and HSPA. While the speed difference was noticeable, under no circumstance was it a game-changer.
That's a particularly big statement when you consider HSDPA on the 9900 is limited to 14.4, and HSUPA is limited to 5.76 Mb/s.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:56 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

As much as I like the Nexus I think this should be read first..a few issues observed by a reviewer:
mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/30/nexus-4-revisited-a-cautionary-tale/
Fold for team #54196
Old December 1, 2012, 06:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
As much as I like the Nexus I think this should be read first..a few issues observed by a reviewer:
mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/30/nexus-4-revisited-a-cautionary-tale/
I know teething issues are bound to happen with any new phone but those arent very impressive