Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2012, 02:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

I don't think the 8gb Nexus is still being sold and the 16 gb is $240. If just for games and kids I'd say the Playbook is best bang for the buck. If you want something really cheap Android the Lenovo A1 will do for menial games.

Old November 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have an Acer Iconia A200, and added the Acer protective pad to it. Runs ICS great, has full-size USD, Wireless N and a secondary SD card for moar storage. It's great and fills all my 'tablet' needs.

Will it run Crysis Angry Birds? Sure does.

ICONIA TAB A200
Acer Iconia Tab A200 Bumper Case - Gray (A200B01): Amazon.ca: Electronics (but I didn't pay 60$ for it)
Old November 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The Transformer Prime can have issues with wifi so be careful. I had one, and the GPS and wifi were spotty at best. If you check out XDA, or Transformer tablet forums and its a common problem. Asus even gave away a dongle for free to users who complained, and on the Prime's successor the Infinity, Asus put a plastic strip at the top to avoid the same issues on the Infinity.

Less than $300? As mentioned the Nexus 7in, or an Acer as 3.0Chuck mentioned.

Is the Kindle Fire HD available here now? The reviews were OK when it was released in the US...might be a good starter tablet (I have not used or seen one, so I don't know as much about it).
Fold for team #54196
Old November 21, 2012, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sorry but I just have to say this, but a 2.5 year old and you're getting them a tablet? I'm sorry but get them a damn book or two and actually talk to them and have conversations with them. Teach them to be able to interact with people and not just stick their heads into an electronic device.

That said for your requirements and price I would say that the Nexus 7 would be your best best.

Old November 21, 2012, 05:23 PM
Allstar

really....Nexus 7 is the way to go.

Other than the iPad, Nexus 10, and the Surface RT, everything else is REALLY low value for their price. Android tablets are almost always low build quality and the ones that aren't are STILL gimped by horrible OEM skins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
I don't think the 8gb Nexus is still being sold and the 16 gb is $240. If just for games and kids I'd say the Playbook is best bang for the buck. If you want something really cheap Android the Lenovo A1 will do for menial games.
https://play.google.com/store/device...le-wide-banner ?
Old November 21, 2012, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I'm sorry but I just have to say this, but a 2.5 year old and you're getting them a tablet? I'm sorry but get them a damn book or two and actually talk to them and have conversations with them. Teach them to be able to interact with people and not just stick their heads into an electronic device.
Ah yes.

I hate my kids and they are idiots. I really don't care about them in any way whatsoever. I really only have them with me to wipe snot on my shirt. Therefore I concocted this amazing plan to kill them slowly with a tablet while on car road trips over any greater distances.

Shame the rodents weren't so devious like their dad.

Coincidentally I would offer to help you with your kids as well but I'm assuming you don't have any....
Old November 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nexus 7 16GB is now $209 and by far the best bang for the buck in tablets right now. Easy decision!

https://play.google.com/store/device...U0MTUyOTU4MyJd
Old November 22, 2012, 04:09 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

@iPaine: Perinineiumn does not care too much about these kids he is buying tablets for because he suspects they are really my kids.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 22, 2012, 04:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Anything more than a cheapo $100 eBay tablet made in china (think ainol) is a complete waste of money on a tablet for a child under 16.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:08 AM
Top Prospect

Staples

$118 for a 32gb Playbook. After $1.25 environazi tax, it's $133.56 out the door. It's almost the same price as an ebook reader.

You can get Angry birds for it, and they're easy enough to circumvent copy protection if that's your thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I would want the tablets to be identical and the movies would be converted to that tablet's native resolution already.

The tablets will run off either the home connection or the "carputer". The carputer will have 2 wireless networks, one for uplinking, and the other for feeding the wifi in the vehicle. If I need access to my cellphone plan I'll tether my phone to the carputer and the tablet will get internet via that. Also, Shaw offers many wifi connection points here in the GVR, so once the MAC address of the uplinking wifi card is entered in it will automatically just get internet access as I pass or are near them.

Size doesn't matter too much, 7 or 10 inch would do fine.

Budget would be up to 300 for each tablet, but cheaper would be better and then put into (hopefully) indestructible casings for them

New or used is fine also...