Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2012, 10:46 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
I had a customer bring one of these in a few weeks ago. I definitely liked the finish on the bottom and behind the screen, as well as the ethernet jack cover being pretty well thought out, but that was about it. I feel the screen was terrible, that much gloss leads to a horrible experience in any sort of light. Trackpad is HP's typical fancy looking square which sucks for actually being used. Form over function seems to be HP's motto, and it's really annoying. (Sadly it's not even just HP, seems most laptop build quality is going in the shitter)
That's what happens when a product category becomes commoditized... just look at LCD's in general. It wasn't too long ago that the AVERAGE laptop price was well over $2K and now everyone laughs at people who buy a $2K laptop and calls them idiots (I don't though because they are buying quality). There is no more build quality left in laptops, with a very few exceptions... Apple MBPR, HP Elitebooks, Lenovo W series and not much else.

Old November 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Well, in response to that I can say: this isn't an Acer....thank God.
What is the issue with the Acer s3's? I have been looking around but I can't find many complaints about the newer models so if you got something I would love to know because my girlfriend really wants one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
That's what happens when a product category becomes commoditized... just look at LCD's in general. It wasn't too long ago that the AVERAGE laptop price was well over $2K and now everyone laughs at people who buy a $2K laptop and calls them idiots (I don't though because they are buying quality). There is no more build quality left in laptops, with a very few exceptions... Apple MBPR, HP Elitebooks, Lenovo W series and not much else.
I really don't see that much build quality in the MBPR, they look pretty but I don't know anyone who hasn't gone through atleast 2 in 4 years of university and I have one friend who has gone through 1 per year (1 the thing had a meltdown, the thermal paste somehow dried up and then the safety features didn't kick in and his processor was pooched, and his newest one had a hack soldering job and the memory came loose).

I understand the quality purchase but I would rather spend $1000 on a laptop and replace it twice as often so I can get newer technology. Anyone who bought a $2000 laptop 2 years ago is SOL on USB 3.0 and sata III for the next couple years. I bought a crappy $500 HP and I have had it for 3.5 years now. The battery is pooched, she runs hot and is a little slow but it still works and I don't have the money to replace it. How much more can I ask for? I got more life out of a $500 machine than most people will get out of their $2000 machine. I guess to be fair I opened it up, cleaned it out and replaced the thermal paste on the cpu and removed the thermal pad and copper shiv from the graphics chipset and replaced it with paste otherwise she would be burning up and non-functional.

Last edited by JJThomp; November 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Long term quality, warranty support and battery life have always been major issues for Acer.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Long term quality, warranty support and battery life have always been major issues for Acer.
Well she upgrades every 2 years or so do you think it will become a problem before the 2 year mark?
Old November 21, 2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Well she upgrades every 2 years or so do you think it will become a problem before the 2 year mark?
How much does she want to spend?

I'm honestly recommending the Vostro 3300 series to anyone who will listen these days. On-site support, a replaceable battery and an awesome keyboard.....there's not much more someone could ask for.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
How much does she want to spend?

I'm honestly recommending the Vostro 3300 series to anyone who will listen these days. On-site support, a replaceable battery and an awesome keyboard.....there's not much more someone could ask for.
she wants it under $800 with tax so 707 max but it needs to be under 4 lbs and 13-14 inches. She is an english major and carries around a lot of books so she wants something thin and light. I took her out to futureshop so she could feel the size and weight of a few ultrabooks and she liked the aspire s3, and then I told her I found it for $630 and she was sold.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
she wants it under $800 with tax so 707 max but it needs to be under 4 lbs and 13-14 inches. She is an english major and carries around a lot of books so she wants something thin and light. I took her out to futureshop so she could feel the size and weight of a few ultrabooks and she liked the aspire s3, and then I told her I found it for $630 and she was sold.
Under $500 for the Vostro: Vostro 3360 Laptop Details

Plus: matte screen which is great for classrooms, 3.6 lbs, backlit keyboard, Win 7 Pro, virtually zero bloatware, soft-touch palm rests, possibility of adding mobile broadband AND....a trackpad with actual buttons.
Old November 21, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Under $500 for the Vostro: Vostro 3360 Laptop Details

Plus: matte screen which is great for classrooms, 3.6 lbs, backlit keyboard, Win 7 Pro, virtually zero bloatware, soft-touch palm rests, possibility of adding mobile broadband AND....a trackpad with actual buttons.
Review Dell Vostro 3360 Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

Would you be concerned about those exterior load temperatures? 48.6C sounds pretty hot. Also these don't have removable batteries apparently the 3350 did but the 3360's do not.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:17 PM

Dell sells separate batteries for it so I don't see how it couldn't have a replaceable battery....that's REALLY odd....
Old November 28, 2012, 05:44 PM
Rookie

One of the graphs on page 9 is the wrong one:

HP ENVY 6 Sleekbook Review; AMD's Mobile Trinity APU Arrives