Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Girlfriend needs a new laptop (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/57724-girlfriend-needs-new-laptop.html)

JJThomp November 6, 2012 09:25 AM

Girlfriend needs a new laptop

Hey so my girlfriend is looking for a new laptop, she is in university so she is looking for something thin and light with decent battery life that she can take to class. She would like to keep it under $700 but would be willing to go up to $800. I told her it would be tough but she just said to do the best I can.

So far I have been looking at the Lenovo U310 (Ultrabook) found it for $699 at Lenovo's website.

The battery life on them apparently is decent and they get pretty good reviews (what more could you want from a $699 ultrabook) but I am wondering if there are any options I have overlooked... What do you guys think?

Edit: It will be for the normal university thing, internet research and writing papers. An HDMI port is a necessity.

bigFOIG November 6, 2012 01:32 PM

Microsoft Surface RT? :thumb:

Generic User #2 November 6, 2012 01:35 PM

^

honestly....that really is the best choice. by far, the lightest, yet still useful, device.

Keywork November 6, 2012 01:39 PM

I have a friend who recently purchased a U310 ( or was it a U410? not sure....) but she is pretty darn happy with it, especially considering what she paid for it! With that said, the Surface is definitely an interesting option. I would probably go check one out in store beforehand to make sure it meets her needs and what not.

Soullessone21 November 6, 2012 02:20 PM

Go with any Asus U series they rock and go on sale all the time :) even the new S series is nice but dont trust the pictures they are a damn lie its not as thin as shown

JJThomp November 6, 2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soullessone21 (Post 669016)
Go with any Asus U series they rock and go on sale all the time :) even the new S series is nice but dont trust the pictures they are a damn lie its not as thin as shown

I was looking at those ad they seem to be much more expensive for what you get (albeit thinner with slightly longer battery life). I was looking at the aspire S3 here Acer S3-391-6428 w/ i5-3317UM, 4GB, 500GB, 13.3in HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit at Memory Express

Looks good, anyone know anything about these?

BeaverBender November 6, 2012 03:35 PM

Well, here is another vote for the Surface RT. Remember, it comes with a legal version of Office, which is very valuable for University.

rfglass November 6, 2012 04:39 PM

imo Asus or Lenovo for dependability, bought the wife an Asus A6 mocha KT she loves it. Not sure on the battery life on the Asus or Lenovo

SKYMTL November 6, 2012 04:58 PM

Surface RT vote here as well.

CMetaphor November 6, 2012 05:09 PM

Forgive my tablet ignorance but does the Surface RT have HDMI out? the OP listed it as a necessity...