Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2012, 06:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Forgive my tablet ignorance but does the Surface RT have HDMI out? the OP listed it as a necessity...
Yes, it has a mini-HDMI connector.

Old November 6, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Well, here is another vote for the Surface RT. Remember, it comes with a legal version of Office, which is very valuable for University.
Yeah I looked at the RT but compared to that Acer after you buy the keyboard it is actually more expensive.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Even after you factor in a copy of Office? Also, remember that women are very different beasts... Get a Surface in her favourite colour and you'll get a nice "going down" present LOL

Old November 6, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry but I vote a big no for the surface. Why? Simple, you need a good and proper keyboard for writing papers. Now as for office, considering she is in university there is the chance that she may be able to get Office for cheap so that might not be a big deal.

Old November 6, 2012, 07:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Even after you factor in a copy of Office? Also, remember that women are very different beasts... Get a Surface in her favourite colour and you'll get a nice "going down" present LOL
LOL.

Yeah it has a micro-hdmi connector which should do the trick.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:21 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Sorry but I vote a big no for the surface. Why? Simple, you need a good and proper keyboard for writing papers. Now as for office, considering she is in university there is the chance that she may be able to get Office for cheap so that might not be a big deal.
have you used the keyboard yet? it's pretty good. I actually don't remember seeing a single bad review of the TypeCover.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

And if you really don't like it for long-term typing, you could always get a cheap full-size wireless keyboard for that purpose.

Old November 6, 2012, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Okay a bit more info... just found out she also wants an Ethernet port... looks like I'm back to the Lenovo u310
Old November 6, 2012, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't go for a tablet just because you may run into the odd case where you're asked to run software that isn't supported properly on a tablet (e.g. does the Java plug-in work on Windows RT)? Silly stuff like that is still being used in things like WebCT for submitting assignments. Note at least my school doesn't give MS Office cheap unless you're an "employee", in which case you qualify for the ~$10 Microsoft HUP license. I currently use Office 365 Home Premium Preview which is beta but I haven't encountered any problems yet.

For those basic uses however you could go lower than $700, especially if you avoid the "ultrabook" label:
Acer 14" Intel Core i3 2310M Laptop (TM4750-6886) : 14" Laptops - Best Buy Canada
Acer Aspire V5 14" 2nd Gen Intel Core i3-2365M Laptop (V5-471-6803) - Silver : 14" Laptops - Future Shop

If those school papers are regularly going to be longer than 1 page, believe me that the extra screen space of a 13.3" or 14.1" greatly outweighs (pardon the expression), the reduced weight of the smaller computers. Besides, laptops are a lot lighter than they were even 3 years ago and actually survive 3h lectures on the "default" battery.

Last edited by frontier204; November 6, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Other link
Old November 6, 2012, 09:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Okay a bit more info... just found out she also wants an Ethernet port... looks like I'm back to the Lenovo u310
USB to Ethernet adapters are around $15 I think.