Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2012, 10:20 PM
Top Prospect

Default upgrading laptop CPU

I am contemplating on upgrading from a sandy bridge core i3 to a SB core i7 quad. From my understanding, my battery life will drop be cause of the TDP increase.

But when using my i3, my CPU load is constantly between 15-20 percent minimum, more if I open a website with flash banner ads. If I get a quad-core, I assume the load will drop significantly.

Assuming that lower load will consume less power, if I was using the laptop under low load conditions (i.e pdf's, web browsing, flash videos), I should notice not a lot of difference in terms of battery life. Is this right?
Old November 6, 2012, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There's a good chance the heatsink/fan cannot take the extra heatload. I'd be far more worried about that than battery life.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Also a good chance your motherboard can't handle the increased TDP
Old November 6, 2012, 12:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Exactly. If your laptop wasn't designed to handle the heat generated by an I7 processor, you could have serious problems, not to mention the potential problems from the upgrade itself... Upgrading a laptop is nowhere near as easy as upgrading a desktop CPU, mainly because for the most part, they weren't designed to allow for this. Why would you need to upgrade your laptop anyway since it seems you aren't maxing out the CPU utilization currently?

Btw, what make and model of laptop is it?

Old November 6, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

I did this once and as stated the internal cooling system was barely able to keep up.
Old November 6, 2012, 02:32 PM
Top Prospect

It's an acer 3830tg with a core i3 (the lowest end one). The reason why want to upgrade is because i find myself starting to use my laptop more and more. Certain programs I use are somewhat could intensive (lots of emulating answer simulations), I can get a quad chip for cheap off ebay, so I was thinking of upgrading.
Old November 6, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

it may work, but I would stick to an upgraded cpu with the same tdp. Otherwise you run issues with drawing too much power from the motherboard, or temps running too high.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As stated, you'd be amazed at the differences inside laptops between models/variations.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
It's an acer 3830tg with a core i3 (the lowest end one). The reason why want to upgrade is because i find myself starting to use my laptop more and more. Certain programs I use are somewhat could intensive (lots of emulating answer simulations), I can get a quad chip for cheap off ebay, so I was thinking of upgrading.
Ok, I definitely wouldn't put a quad I7 into that 13" sub notebook, you are risking almost certain destruction. According to Acer it will support up to a dual-core I7-2620m but even then I wouldn't do it, for reasons previously stated. In reading up on this laptop, it seems that it suffers from the same BIOS settings that arbitrarily throttle CPU perofrmance in some other Acer laptops, so an upgrade might not even help much, unless Acer comes out with a new BIOS addresses this issue... and this isn't very likely at this point.

If you want some more speed, your best investment would be an SSD. Pick up a 256gb Crucial M4... NCIX regularly has some decent sales on them. You wont believe the difference. You also might want to max out the RAM to 8gb since memory is so cheap.