Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Allstar

Default Pre-Rooted Note and I have no clue what to do next

Just got a Note to play with for a while so I can get used to Android. I could use as much help as someone is willing to give on basically all fronts as I have been stuck with an Iphone and know nothing of Android.

It's already rooted and has Paranoid Android 2.x on it (Jelly Bean) but want that gone. Unfortunately I don't have a clue what it's been rooted with or how to find out or even what model Note it is. As much as I'd love to spend hours researching all this I just kind of need to get this up and running properly asap as it's a work phone haha. From the limited time I've been able to spend looking around I'd like to try something like Liquid Jelly Bean or whatever else is most popular. The phone is used mostly for Email, Calendar, Maps, Contacts, and Notes (that's been transferred from Iphone but that's a complete mess on its own. I usually store some of my clients data in there like network info, usernames etc so and alternative would be great). Basically business use.

Any willing to help a guy out so I can get at least enough knowledge to get a basic setup done (which includes re-rooting if necessary and getting a stable rom on there).

Sorry if some of my lingo is off :)

Cheers

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Can you take the battery out and post the info found in there? ie. i717M, i717R, etc.

Usually this is found in Settings->About Phone but with a custom rom there is no telling what you will find there.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Allstar

It's the R version. Man, is this thing ever huge!

Thanks ChrisK

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
It's the R version. Man, is this thing ever huge!

Thanks ChrisK
It probably has CWM which is a recovery bootloader that you can get into to do backups, restores, rom installs etc.

Try this and report back:
Boot into Recovery Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Power, and Home buttons. When the Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 logo appears, release the Power button but keep the Volume Up key and Home button pressed.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

So I believe its the Rogers version. I have the Bell version, and am running completely stock (factory) right now. Fully stock too. I was using the ATT version for a while. Its safe to use an ATT one.

The trouble with using the Jelly Bean roms and such is poor S-pen support. The modified Bell, ATT, etc roms have S-pen functionality which I like.

I'll give you a few links, but I don't know which rom is the best right now as I have not flashed a rom since July.

This first one, is the proper XDA forum for your device:
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717 - xda-developers
More noob-friendly resource:
Galaxy Note I717 | Root Galaxy Note

So, I'll give you a breakdown of some terms you need to know (if I am wrong someone will correct me I'm sure). I can't do a full guide right now, but I'll get you started and point you to the places I used to get up to speed in a few hours:

Odin: this is the software you run on your computer. Samsung utility to flash software to your phone. This raises the flash counter, which will alert Samsung if you return it that you flashed something. Rumour is that this can result in a voided warranty. I believe it, but don't know of refused warranty claims. You will use Odin to flash a new recovery.

Recovery: You will have to use Odin to get a new recovery on your phone. The recovery software is typically used to flash custom roms/OSes. The recovery I used back in the summer was CWM recovery (clockworkmod). I believe the new thing is or TWRP. I have not used it.

Modem/Radio: the software/firmware that gives you connectivity. Sometimes a rom includes a modem, sometimes it does not. You can sometimes mix and match various modems with different roms. You flash a modem using the recovery. The modem files are zip files.

ROM: this is the OS essentially. It is usually a zip file, that you flash using recovery.

SD Card: Android has an internal SDCard partition, which has nothing to do with the removable SD Card you install yourself. So, if you see internal SD card, then they mean the Android SDCard partition. External SD Card means a removable micro sd card. Every rom and modem I have flashed I put it on the microsd card btw.

Cache: there are two types of caches in Android...a regular cache for OS functions, etc, and a 'dalvik' cache. Dalvik cache gets full of stuff when installing programs essentially. These caches should be cleared after you flash anything. I did it three times. Your recovery software (ie. CWM) will have options for clearing cache.

APK: this is an Android installer file. Similar to a zip, .msi, self-extracting exe, etc.

So, basically IIRC, here are the steps:
1. Use Odin to flash a new recovery.
2. Use recovery to flash a rom, and possibly a modem as well.
3. Clear caches every time you flash something.
4. If you see 'fix permissions', this is done in the recovery program too.

Here is a great starter thread:
[REF] Start up guide for rooting, recovery, ROMs, de-brick, and tether updated 05/23 - xda-developers

Read through that. It will explain everything I just did, but in more detail.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Chris he already has a ROM on it meaning either someone has already put a recovery on the unit.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Chris he already has a ROM on it meaning either someone has already put a recovery on the unit.
Gotcha but I was just giving him the overview of putting a rom on from scratch. If he is a noob then he might not realize that the recovery is custom as well (but you were right to point out he already has a custom one).
Fold for team #54196
Old October 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
Allstar

Chances whatever one I have need to be updated as I don't believe this phone has been used for quite while.

Thanks for the links Chisk, I'll definitely be reading those.

Edit: Thanks again, just bookmarked those links and will hopefully have a chance to get some reading/upgrading in tomorrow as the phone has basically nothing right now.

Last edited by Nodscene; October 30, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old October 31, 2012, 07:24 AM
Allstar

I just booted into recovery to see what's going on. It looks like I have TWRP 2.2.1 (or something like that), so I've got the latest version of Odin and have downloaded Liquid Jelly Bean for AT&T ([ROM][AOSP] Unofficial Liquid Jelly Bean 2.0 [Kang] Updated 10-20 RC5! - xda-developers). So I just boot my phone to recovery, wipe it, then install the ROM and that's it?

Old October 31, 2012, 08:36 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I just booted into recovery to see what's going on. It looks like I have TWRP 2.2.1 (or something like that), so I've got the latest version of Odin and have downloaded Liquid Jelly Bean for AT&T ([ROM][AOSP] Unofficial Liquid Jelly Bean 2.0 [Kang] Updated 10-20 RC5! - xda-developers). So I just boot my phone to recovery, wipe it, then install the ROM and that's it?
Yes, but be absolutely sure you have the proper rom for your device (that you have a i717 model...not the n7000 international version).

Always wipe cache and dalvik after flashing as well. Read the thread for the rom you have downloaded a few times too, as each rom might have something specific needed (ie. sometimes you need to install superuser and/or busybox yourself, etc these apps are used for root). Also, I tend to read the last 2-3 pages (at least) of a rom before I flash, to get a handle on the issues people tended to have. I avoided some serious issues with a rom this summer, where the instructions were worded badly. The mistake was caught by the XDA users, and corrected in the thread before the OP fixed it in the first post.
Fold for team #54196