Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Tablet or laptop? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/57600-tablet-laptop.html)

sakage.shinga October 29, 2012 08:33 PM

Tablet or laptop?

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a mobile computing device and I'd like to get some suggestions on which direction to go in - laptop or tablet. I will be using this mobile device to 1) watch 1080p movies, 2) store a small collection of my mp3s, 3) a lot of web surfing, and 4) some light productivity work (e.g. excel, word, etc.).

The following are what I'd look for in this device:
1) less than 13" screen-size and easy to carry (should be comfortably held by one hand)
2) bright, crystal clear screen
3) usb-enabled

I feel that tablets, especially the Asus Transformer Infinity, are the way to go, but I am concerned that I will have to spend a lot of money on apps to let me do the things that I'd want to do. For example, on a notebook, I can simply download MPC-HC for movie watching (subtitled enabled), while on the Android, I might have to shell out dough to get an ad-free program that does what I need it to do.

Thoughts???

Thanks!!!

botat29 October 29, 2012 08:46 PM

Excel, Word, = laptop for me at least

chubaka October 29, 2012 08:51 PM

how bout a convertible? dell xps 12.

Arinoth October 29, 2012 09:00 PM

Depending on when your need is you could wait till the Surface Pro comes out supporting full version of Windows on it

supaflyx3 October 29, 2012 10:32 PM

Surface Pro, or even the current surface, Although I don't think it can play HD video, at least flash based.

Mars October 29, 2012 11:12 PM

You're really unlikely to be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p video on a 10" screen unless you're holding it 5 inches from your face.

If you need Word or Excel and practically useful USB, you're limited to Windows RT, Windows 8 or Mac OS.

So basically options meeting your criteria are, in no particular order:

1. Macbook Air
2. Ultrabook (Asus Zenbook Prime is my preference, only Ultrabook with 1080p screen)
3. Windows RT tablet (MS Surface, Asus Vivo Tab RT are the released options so far, handful of others announced)
4. Atom Windows 8 tablet (Asus Vivo Tab, handful of others announced)
5. Non-Atom Windows 8 tablet (Surface Pro and a handful of others announced, will give better performance than #3 or #4, but won't be as good for fan-free thinness and battery life.)
6. Convertible thinger (XPS 12, Ideapad Yoga, Asus Taichi - I'm not really a big fan of any of these, I don't have any hands-on experience, but they all seem pretty gimmicky to me.)

Arinoth October 30, 2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 667354)
If you need Word or Excel and practically useful USB, you're limited to Windows RT, Windows 8 or Mac OS.

Neither statements are true, if you root an android tablet you have practical useful USB such as I do with my Nexus 7, same goes with an equivalent to Word/Excel. Sure there may be slight formatting concerns if you import it to the read Word/Excel but that's typical minor (at least what I've found)

botat29 October 30, 2012 05:12 AM

Mars I see no Windows 7 laptop ? I check on Dell website, they still have few with 7 including the XPS 13.

Mars October 30, 2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 667377)
Neither statements are true, if you root an android tablet you have practical useful USB such as I do with my Nexus 7, same goes with an equivalent to Word/Excel. Sure there may be slight formatting concerns if you import it to the read Word/Excel but that's typical minor (at least what I've found)

Yeah, rooting a tablet for the USB to work isn't "practically useful" for me, and alternatives to Office range from kludgy if you're doing basic text editing to totally unworkable if you're doing advanced Excel work.

I guess OP can decide if these are priorities for him or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 667378)
Mars I see no Windows 7 laptop ? I check on Dell website, they still have few with 7 including the XPS 13.

Oh yeah, I don't really see any reason to recommend old versions of Windows at this point - if OP wants one for some reason, any of the non-touchscreen Win8 machines will be fine with Win7.

b1lk1 October 30, 2012 08:13 AM

Android is nearly useless for productivity in the workplace.