Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Anyone use Wind Mobile? $40 Unlimited everything seems absurdly good.

I'm extremely interested in Wind Mobile's $40 'unlimited everything' plan. $40 for unlimited talk across Canada, unlimited data and unlimited text across Canada is an extremely good deal. And with the free $200 in features, I can get 25 months of free VM on top of that. (normally $8/month) I know that the converage is limited, but I live in Vancouver and don't typically leave the GVRD coverage are except for the odd trip to my folks, and for that I don't mind paying the roaming fees if I happen to use my phone there.

There's a couple people I know that have Wind and love it, and they state the data speeds are as fast or better than Rogers 3G, which works great for me. But I also know people that consistently complain of dropped calls and bad GPS issues, however those people are all on pay-as-you-go plans. Hoping some people here have some insight from personal experience.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

They are one of my customers and I can tell you that they are spending money like a drunken sailor to upgrade their systems and infrastructure in Canada so they seem pretty committed to having a good product here, at least to me. That being said their glorious leader did say in a statement not too long ago that he thought it was a mistake to enter Canada and wishes he had never done it... they are hemorrhaging capital here. Personally I don't use them since they aren't setup properly yet in Quebec.

Old October 24, 2012, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think they need to bring the coverage to all of the lower mainland, then their services would be great.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The #1 problem with both Wind and Mobilicity is coverage. In Brampton, any time I entered a building I pretty much lost all signal. I'm now currently with Virgin Mobile because of it. I had $25 unlimited everything with Mobilicity which was an amazing deal....if I was outside 24/7.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Makes sense, since AWS uses higher wave lengths than other carriers thus making it more vulnerable to buildings.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well, I have a coworker using a Galaxy S3 on Wind, and he seems to get great service in the middle of our concrete work building with a ton of wireless interference from building wireless and QA testing. So my assumption is that the issue doesn't extend to all their phones. Although it is a bit disappointing that they have no iPhone support, nor any plans to support the new Windows 8 phones at this point. This means that I have to switch back to an Android platform, and I was less than happy with my S2. =/

It's certainly interesting to here that they are upgrading their infrastructure in Canada at a rapid pace. Concerns aside, I'm still kicking myself for not getting involved with Fido when they started up with $30 everything bundles. A friend of mine is still grandfathered on that contract and he's saving so much money over any other contract it'd make your head spin. I'd hate to lose that opportunity again, and kick myself after Wind expands to full coverage.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Am I reading that right? $8/month for VOICEMAIL!?
Old October 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
I think they need to bring the coverage to all of the lower mainland, then their services would be great.
I was looking at them also but I cannot tell if they are in the Fraser valley and the way the contract is written I am not sure what the actual coverage is.
I have been with telus for years on a contract but and now that my contract has been finished for over two years I have been looking around for better deals
Old October 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Their coverage is up to Whatcom rd, anywhere further east and its roaming.
Old October 24, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yup, poor coverage, that's why they are pretty much an inner GTA choice.