Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2012, 08:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Can someone explain what in the world Wind TAB is?
Old November 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

WindTAB is just their term for the outstanding balance on your "free" phone. Instead of having a 3 year term you have a balance that is paid off a little on every bill over 3 years and if you leave before 3 years you have to pay off the tab instead of buying out a contract.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

So every bill is indeed higher than their stated $40/month or so?

Couldn't you just bring in an unlocked phone like the Nexus 4?
Old November 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
So every bill is indeed higher than their stated $40/month or so?

Couldn't you just bring in an unlocked phone like the Nexus 4?
I believe 10% of your pre-tax bill clears the tab, not an extra. So $2.50 or $4.00 /mth and fully cleared in 3 years. ( Also waiting for suburban Ottawa.)
Old January 22, 2013, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just thought I'd update everyone on this as I've now been a WIND customer for a couple months. They work similar to the way Koodo works, in that you pay a larger upfront amount for your phone than you would through full subsidy on a contract through other providers, but you are then not locked in to a contract. (Rogers might charge $149 for a GS3, where Wind's upfront cost is $249) The remainder of what the phone costs at retail is added to a 'WindTAB'. So if retail for the phone is $499, and you paid $299 upfront, then $200 is applid to your WindTAB. From that point, any bill amount you pay reduces your TAB by 10% of the total bill. For example, I have a $40 plan, so $4 is taken off the amount owing on my TAB every month. At the end of three years, any amount owing on your TAB is simply removed altogether. However, if I choose to leave WIND after 2 years, the balance on my TAB is all I would have to pay, rather than any cancellation or contract fees. Using the example above, of a $499 phone with a $200 tab, my amount owing would be $200 - (24 x $4) = $104. This is a lot more reasonable than the double cancellation fees you have to pay with a contract! (Phone subsidy cancellation + data plan cancellation)

Yes you can bring over any unlocked phone that supports pentaband if you don't want to do the TAB thing. This basically means no iPhones are supported, and a few other random phones. Unfortunately, some of the major phones only have specific models that are capable of pentaband support for WIND as well. For example, I believe the T999 is the specific model of GS3 that you must have for WIND support. However I haven't delved in to this too deeply.

So far Wind has been fantastic in their customer service. My only two major complaints are:
1- Limited coverage. This sucks for sure, espescially if you travel.
2- Delayed release of new phones. This means it'll likely be March before I can really drill down and decide if I am going to go with WP8 or BB10. (I can't wait to get away from Android)

At the end of the day, it's very difficult to walk away from the $40 plan. I get unlimited calling to anywhere in Canada OR the Continental US, unlimited text to Can and US, and unlimited data! Nobody else even comes close to touching that deal. The only one I've seen was Koodo for their holiday deal, but it was $57, limited to Canada wide, and had a 2GB data limit. But their coverage and full phone support helps make up for the difference.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I always get a little mixed up at the coverage say for the BC area I look at the map and can't really tell
Old January 22, 2013, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's competition like Wind that will eventually make the Big 3 give fair deals.

It'll take a while, but Wind will eventually have enough coverage to really hurt them.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using Wind for the past 4 or 5 months and I haven't had any problems. Coverage seems to be as good as Bell when I was using them and the feeling of unlimted data is the best feeling in the world. $29 for unlimited calling, texting, and data. Can't go wrong with that!
Old January 22, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used to have a contract with Telus but once the contract was finished I havn't signed another one in hopes of getting a great deal some where else
Old April 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
Trial Member

I have been with WIND for a while now. I left telus after years of service but was in the need to cut back my costs. Switching to WIND was a mistake that I dearly regret. I have been documenting my ordeal with WIND.
Their corporate office has contacted their corporate store with a mandate of how to deal with me even, including not to release their first name etc. Bit of a disaster. My blog post is VERY long but full of run arounds.

Telus wasnt perfect but you don't see complaints on my blog because nothing warranted keeping track. WIND Mobile is scary.

WIND mobile Review ? After the initial purchase. LOLSORRY