Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

*UPDATE* - I went to a Wind Mobile store to have a chat with them, and I just found out that they won't let me buy a Galaxy S3 outright in cash and start a plan. I HAVE to use the WindTAB feature they have. That's retarded... I'm offering to pay full price for the phone and they wont let me. Not sure if I like that as I REALLY don't want to be tethered to a cell phone company for any reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
This might be of interest to you: Smart Plans | Plans | Shop | Fido.ca
It's certainly a better offer than I've seen in a long time, but adding US long distance (which I use a lot for work) and VM brings the $57 plan up to $96, and still only includes 1GB of data. With Wind, I'm at unlimited everything, with VM and CAN to US calling for $58 total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm looking for something for my girlfriend actually. It looks like European calling can be added.....but is that WITHIN the EU too or only in the phone's "local" zone. I'm wondering since this would be a great option for our trip to Italy next year.
Negative for sure. The calling bundles are Canadian local OUT to whichever area your calling. Roaming outside the country is never included. However they do offer preferred US roaming on the TMobile network for a fraction of the cost of most providers. Don't think that covers EU though...
Old October 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Ironically, my plan is with Telus and calling in the EU seems to be the same price as within the US....
Old October 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Remember this too, Wind phones are usually AWS only making them only useful on AWS systems. No taking that phone to a regular carrier.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
*UPDATE* - I went to a Wind Mobile store to have a chat with them, and I just found out that they won't let me buy a Galaxy S3 outright in cash and start a plan. I HAVE to use the WindTAB feature they have. That's retarded... I'm offering to pay full price for the phone and they wont let me. Not sure if I like that as I REALLY don't want to be tethered to a cell phone company for any reason.
Well, there's no real downside to the tab, you can cancel at any time, and you'll just be on hook for the part of the phone that you didn't pay in full at the start.

However, you should be able to to buy phones straight-up anyway - you probably went to a dealership which gets more kickbacks for signing up people on tabs than they do for selling phones, you shouldn't have this problem at a corporate location.
Old October 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
Top Prospect

I use Virgin Mobile. Being a subsidiary of Bell they usually have plans on par if not better than Bell. I think in total I pay $65/month and I have a Motorola RAZR V with unlimited Canada-Wide calling and what they call "pay-per-use data", which means I pay for as much as I use up to a max of 1GB ($25). The Wind Mobile "$40 unlimited" plan wouldn't benefit me at all because I live outside of the city and therefore would pay outrageous roaming fees and long distance charges out the rear end...

With the Virgin Mobile plan I get Voicemail 10, Caller ID, Unlimited Canada-Wide, and "pay-per-use" or Commitment-free Data. The base is $56/month and can go up to $81/month depending on my data usage. This was the best plan for me being in a rural town.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My year old contract is still decent:

500 minutes anytime, favorite nationwide 10's, 5gb of data, unlimited texting, callerID, VM3 for $55

However, once Wind and Mobilicity gain momentum I can see myself making the jump.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have been keeping my eye on them also hoping and waiting for wind mobile to widen expand the area .
Old November 13, 2012, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i agree i live in a subburb of ottawa and there is still no freaking coverage.

Old November 14, 2012, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've now been with Wind for just over a week. I actually signed up because their Christmas bundles are out now, and they are throwing a VM bundle, US calling and international SMS/MMS in to the mix for free. Meaning it's truly $40 for everything. I just can't imagine seeing a better deal anywhere.

Roaming has yet to be an issue for me. I've been to my parents once (who live just outside Hope) and I was roaming there. But everywhere throughout the lower mainland has been fine. The only thing that's bothered me in truth has been the lack of penetration on the bandwidth they use. I get a crackly signal and low data connections if I'm in the middle of the mall or if I'm in a concrete building. And they have a brief period of 'buyers remorse' so you can take a couple days to check if your house and work are in 'dead zones' due to wall penetration.

All in all, I can't recommend them enough if you're looking to save some money, you primarily stay within the city, and you're OK with the Android platform.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you know if you were roaming in the chilliwack area?