Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakage.shinga View Post
I might get the 2nd gen when it eventually comes out. I'm in the market for a tablet for watching 1080p movies and playing music. IIRC, the Surface doesn't have 1080p resolution, and so it's a no-go for me at the moment. I'm split between iPad and Transformer Infinity.
The Surface Pro will have a 1080p screen.

Help me choose which Windows tablet is best for me - Microsoft Surface
Old October 28, 2012, 12:58 PM
Allstar

keep in mind Windows RT + the bundled MS Office uses much more space than iOS; I'm told the 32GB Surface gives you 17GB of storage. However, you DO get to expand your capacity with a microSD card (or some size of SD card) (still not sure if this card can hold apps or just media though)
Old October 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The RT doesn't seem too special, but the surface pro looks like it would be incredibly useful. I find that I use a ton of apps on my phone, but on my tablet I mostly just watch video, play the occasional game, surf the web etc. With a full version of windows and office and using some sync service to keep my documents synced, I think this could be incredibly useful at work and at home. Plus, I went with the Infinity because of the awesome keyboard dock with a usb port, but the surface has a usb port and it's thin keyboard and kickstand would make it ideal for me. I don't remember ever using a camera on a tablet except for on skype so the camera res is irrelevant to me, but I wish they had gone higher resolution.

I'm curious to see how smooth the Pro runs and how it handles full windows applications.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old October 28, 2012, 04:34 PM
Allstar

i'm pretty sure that the only reason MS included a rear camera was cause of the very, VERY vocal tablet photogragher demographic (have you seen the number of complaints about the lack of a rear-facing camera in the Nexus 7? - which should honestly be zero). Otherwise, they'd be getting slammed with negative reviews about how the missing camera equates to a lack of quality.
Old October 31, 2012, 02:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm totally down for the Surface Pro. Basically a full-fledged laptop in a tablet and actually has a USB port. 1080p on a 10" screen... *drool* I guess it doesn't beat the Nexus's 2560x1600, but still good.

Honestly, I don't see too much you can do with the RT version; the marketplace just doesn't have enough content yet. Well at least there's MS Office I guess...

Microsoft has a booth sort of thing set up in Metrotown (Burnaby) where people get to try/buy the RTs. They have both the touch and type covers for people to try as well. I asked one of the guys if they'll be having a store in the area anytime soon and he said that there would be a store in the Lower Mainland soon. :) Would be interesting to see a MS Store beside an Apple store.
Old October 31, 2012, 02:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

After trying the RT, I'd say that the cameras are pretty good (720p for both), but a little bit grainy in both photo/video. :\