Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2012, 12:42 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

So how do you put files on the phone? Actually taking off the SD card?

Which carrier is your Note 2 from?
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old November 9, 2012, 04:04 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
So how do you put files on the phone? Actually taking off the SD card?

Which carrier is your Note 2 from?
Well, with the Note 1 I just put the phone into USB/Mass storage mode in settings. Used that a lot (mentioned this functionality earlier in this thread as a reason I like to have a huge SD card). Yesterday, I wanted to move some files from work and could not find the setting. Looked in the usual places for Android (ie. Networks, Storage) and did not see it. Google-fu helped me determine that I need root in order to install an app.

I have not tried at home, but I believe the USB mode Google enabled will work on Win7 for one file at a time I believe (will verify this on the weekend), but not XP which we have at work. I could take the card out and use an adapter, but thats a pain.

Could use dropbox or 'the cloud', but thats no good when I want to transfer a 200mb file.

This lack of USB mass storage is a real kick in the balls actually and I am not sure if its Google or Samsung's fault. I should not have to hack a phone in order to get back functionality many previous versions of Android had, sort of like those who have a hate on for MS who took away the start menu lol.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 9, 2012, 12:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Good thing you brought that up.

Its a negative for sure. Wonder why it was omitted.

Then again, better than not having an expandable storage slot.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old November 10, 2012, 07:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Mass storage mode is likely Samsung's choice as my HTC One X running ICS has a mass storage mode, but my GS3 running ICS doesn't.
It's not a huge problem though as in MTP mode you can still access both the onboard storage and the micro SD card, and you can drag and drop multiple files, create folders, etc.

I don't see any major disadvantages in MTP mode yet, at least not from my usage.
Old November 10, 2012, 08:17 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Mass storage mode is likely Samsung's choice as my HTC One X running ICS has a mass storage mode, but my GS3 running ICS doesn't.
It's not a huge problem though as in MTP mode you can still access both the onboard storage and the micro SD card, and you can drag and drop multiple files, create folders, etc.

I don't see any major disadvantages in MTP mode yet, at least not from my usage.
Need Windows 7 for that mode though. With mass storage, you can use XP as the PC will see the device as a simple USB drive.

"Camera mode" works in XP if you want to get pictures off. Strange thing is, ICS on the Galaxy Note from Samsung had mass storage.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 10, 2012, 03:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Oh, well ya, I am using Windows 7 at home and at the office, so I guess that's why I haven't had any issues with MTP mode.
What are you doing running XP still? :)
Old November 10, 2012, 03:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Oh, well ya, I am using Windows 7 at home and at the office, so I guess that's why I haven't had any issues with MTP mode.
What are you doing running XP still? :)
Heh, when you have 100s of pieces of software qualified on XP like our organization has, you don't jump to a new OS anytime soon.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well that explains it! :)

Guess you'll just have to root down the road if you really need the mass storage functionality.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My cousin who is staying with us picked one up recently. I myself prefer Apple but the Note II is nice.

The one thing that sort of bugs me though, is the blue tinge to the screen, especially when compared to my iPhone 5. Is this something that is common on the Note II, or is hers just a one off?
Old November 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I don't notice any blue in the screen to be honest. But I have been using Samsung phones since the Spring so I might not notice it. Samsung does use a new type of pentile arrangement with the GN2.
Fold for team #54196