Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2012, 03:49 PM
MVP

There's no way I'll be able to resist the Note II. It might be my first subsidized "phone" in over 10 years.
Old October 9, 2012, 05:02 PM
Allstar

My biggest gripe is that the only carriers who will have this phone have horrible plans (Rogers, Bell etc) while the one with the great plans (Fido etc) won't carry the phone. So unless I want only 200 minutes a month or whatever it is I'm screwed. Since I use my phone for business the 5 or 10 friends part of the phone plans are useless to me as is unlimited nights and weekends. A shame as my contract is up and would love to grab this or the SIII at a great price.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 9, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
My biggest gripe is that the only carriers who will have this phone have horrible plans (Rogers, Bell etc) while the one with the great plans (Fido etc) won't carry the phone. So unless I want only 200 minutes a month or whatever it is I'm screwed. Since I use my phone for business the 5 or 10 friends part of the phone plans are useless to me as is unlimited nights and weekends. A shame as my contract is up and would love to grab this or the SIII at a great price.
You can always purchase an unlocked one from the Samsung store and then drop your Fido SIM in to it. You just won't get LTE functionality through Fido. (Which is just fine if the hype over Huawei is to be believed.)
Old October 9, 2012, 05:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
You can always purchase an unlocked one from the Samsung store and then drop your Fido SIM in to it. You just won't get LTE functionality through Fido. (Which is just fine if the hype over Huawei is to be believed.)
That's incorrect, you will get LTE service through Fido as it's officially launched now.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:45 PM
Allstar

True, but that means dropping what, $700 on a phone instead of getting it for next to nothing with a contract? A bit of a tough pill to swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It has been announced now, the release date is October 30th here in Canada. That is with Telus, but I am sure that the rest will announce that same date as well. Also as far as I know it will be available from Telus, Bell, Rogers, Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron and SaskTel.

Old October 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
It has been announced now, the release date is October 30th here in Canada. That is with Telus, but I am sure that the rest will announce that same date as well. Also as far as I know it will be available from Telus, Bell, Rogers, Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron and SaskTel.
Hoping Bell releases it this date as well. I am eligible for an upgrade on Nov. 6 (I thought it was the 7th). Folks who got this now in Europe seem to be very pleased.

Keep an eye out for an unlocked Note 1 lol
Fold for team #54196
Old October 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
Allstar

Do tell :)

Old October 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Do tell :)
I'll do a price check on my unlocked Note 1. Warranty thoroughly voided due to rom-flashing of course.

Looks like the 16GB Note II will be $150 on a 3-year contract:
Bell and TELUS Samsung Galaxy Note II will be $149.99 on a 3-year | MobileSyrup.com
Fold for team #54196
Old November 7, 2012, 04:04 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Picked up a Galaxy Note II last night and I have to say it met my expectations.

Have loaded all my apps, got 4 widgets and a bunch of icons on the main screen, Nova launcher, and I cannot for the life of me make this thing lag. By far the snappiest Android experience for me yet, tablet or phone. Camera is much quicker as well, and seems to take better pictures in my dim apartment.

It is a little narrower, and this makes it more pocketable and easier to use with one hand. Next time you are in a store try picking one of these up...you will be surprised. My wife also thinks the new phone is easier to handle than the Note I, but she thinks it might still be too big for her tastes.

After 12 hours or so, very impressed so far. I would say a worthy upgrade from the Note I. So glad I left the iPhone behind.
Fold for team #54196