Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2012, 06:37 PM
Rookie

Default Clueless Newbie : So I went on Ebay.

Howdy folks. As the title would indicate I have goofed.

Having lost my previous phone, I set out to get a new phone from bell. They no longer had the model I previously had (as it was ancient) but offered to upgrade me to something flashy for 600$ or so dollars. So that was out.

I went on Ebay and picked up an "Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S". Unlocked they said, works with any carrier in the world they said. So I inserted Bell Simcard and unsurprisingly nothing worked. It was maybe rooted, it was maybe unlocked but it was definitely a south Korean phone using Anycall.

After asking a bunch of local "experts" and coming up with nothing but "Will never work, buy my phone instead" I decided to do my own investigating.

I'm not looking for any hand-holding but I wouldn't mind a shove in the right direction.

Short list:
-Firstly : Am I totally boned?
-What phone is it I actually have here?
-Is this phone different in any physical way compared to the Bell variant sold in Canada?
-Is there a way I can change the firmware/rom from AnyCall to Bell?
-While Im doing the above can I get rid of all the korean software with a format of some sort?

Would appreciate some direction. I'm not against learning but this is all a bit overwhelming.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

You say Galaxy "S" which one? The first S?
Can you boot the phone normally?
Old September 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.

The phone boots as normally as I'm aware. The Any-Call splash screen comes up, followed by the GT-I9000 and then the little gremlin in space. Normal doesn't mean much when I have nothing to compare to how ever.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Have a look at your model number (settings/about phone) or put the ebay link in your post here. Just post all the info in your about phone section.
There are different versions of this phone and maybe the one you bought doesn't work on all the Canadian networks.

You can also check out xda developers for info on your device and tips and tricks on how to modify it to your needs.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
Rookie

-Model number:
GT-I9000
Firmware version : 2.3.4
Baseband Version : 19000zsjpj
Kernel version : 2.6.35.7-I9000xxjvp
Build number : LIDROID I9000-1.2
Old September 26, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If what you're saying about them advertising 'working anywhere in the world' etc, I would say you have a valid Ebay/Paypal complaint to lodge. That being said, have you contacted the seller? If you have and they wont do anything, I would put a file in with paypal.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
Rookie

NEW Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Android V2.2 GPS WIFI 4.0" TouchWiz 3.0 UI SMARTPHONE | eBay

Maybe I'm completely in the wrong here and just misread.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:02 PM
Rookie

NEW Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Android V2.2 GPS WIFI 4.0" TouchWiz 3.0 UI SMARTPHONE | eBay

There's a decent chance I could have just misunderstood them but that seems like a stretch.

Effectively the issue (I'm told) is that there's no prompt when the SIM is inserted, therefore there's no code to enter unlocked or not.
MVP

My System Specs

It's not unlocked.
If I was you, I would get this: Octopus Box Samsung Updates - GsmSolution
and follow this: http://gsmsolution.biz/forum/octopus...all_m110s.html to unlock the phone.

To make it work pretty, you will also need to install an english rom with a baseband for canadian providers.
If this all sounds scary to you and you don't want to dive into it, return the phone and get one from xda market or ask in here for advice on what to buy and where.
Hall Of Fame

What the hell is that baseband version? You might want to head to XDA and flash a Bell compatible baseband.

But I believe that model number worked on Bell's network.