Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2012, 08:47 AM
Rookie

Default Battery Care

Just got a new laptop for my wife. Does it hurt the battery to leave it plugged into the charger all the time (even when turned off)?
Or
Should it be charged up, disconnected & recharged as necessary?

Thanks
Old September 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

This should answer your questions:

BatteryCare - Proper laptop battery usage guide
Old September 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info!
Old October 1, 2012, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That is some decent battery info... Some of the info I don't know where they get it from... For example completely discharging your battery under load will not damage it. He is absolutely correct that heat is enemy #1 though which is why having a laptop with good cooling is important and using a cooling stand whenever possible is also good.

Essentially how a batter works is the battery is in a state of equilibrium in an oxidation/reduction. Fully charged your battery is fully reduced meaning the compound in the battery will be in a solid for (lithium in this case), this means it holds all of it's electrons. When you draw power from the battery it undergoes a reduction reaction causing the metal to dissolve in the fluid and lose it's electrons. The electrons are transfered through the ions in the solution to the circuitry in your computer. The way they are recharged is by forcing the reaction to reverse (for non-rechargable batteries the reaction is difficult to reverse and it can't be done by simply forcing electrons back into the cell but they generally provide more power) and the lithium will solidify on whatever they choose to use. This is how electro plating works and galvanizing steel... Essentially you turn the steel into it's own galvanic cell so it doesn't oxidize (rust). The way batteries die out is by secondary undesired and irreversible reactions slowly using up all the compounds that the electrons are stored in, heat allows these reactions to occur more readily and therefore kills your battery faster. There is no way killing the battery could stress it causing these reactions to occur.

If you want to know why older batteres have memory I could explain that too however it is slightly more complicated. P.S I do a lot of chemistry in university