Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Samsung Galaxy i9000M with CM10 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/56758-samsung-galaxy-i9000m-cm10.html)

CriminalMind September 16, 2012 08:04 PM

Samsung Galaxy i9000M with CM10

Anyone had any luck trying out Jelly Bean with their Galaxy S?

I've been thinking about the upgrade, but I don't know if the ICS modems would work with the new ROM.

Jake_HT September 16, 2012 08:19 PM

The ICS modems work, CM10 works just fine.

CriminalMind September 17, 2012 01:49 PM

Hrmmm... I've had nothing but trouble with it so far. The phone app seems to dip in and out whenever it wants to. Half the time I go to use it to make a call and it tells me the app's not installed. Then the other time it would be fine.

Also, Trebuchet crashes at some pretty inconvenient times. I don't know whether I need a new stock launcher (I don't usually use it anyway), but it might also just be hardware issues.

I'll be keeping my eye on the nightlies.

JD September 17, 2012 06:05 PM

Have you done a "factory reset" aka wipe? CM10 changes the whole partitioning layout of the phone compared to CM9.

Jake_HT September 17, 2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 656223)
Have you done a "factory reset" aka wipe? CM10 changes the whole partitioning layout of the phone compared to CM9.

Yeah if you're getting that many problems maybe you didn't wipe?

My girlfriend has been using CM10 on her i9000m for a couple weeks now and she's not had any problems (other than the i9000's random lag BS)

CriminalMind September 17, 2012 11:56 PM

I did a cache wipe but not a full reset, no. I don't exactly trust the backups to do their jobs, so every time I do this it makes me nervous.

Ti+ especially has been pretty hit and miss for me.

JD September 18, 2012 04:39 AM

Really? I've had no issues with Titanium Backup Pro. Backs up user apps perfectly fine, I never bother with system apps though as that is always asking for trouble.

Backups from CWM I find haven't worked for a while now for whatever reason.

CriminalMind September 18, 2012 09:53 PM

I usually get an error of some kind from CWM, but when I do, I just try the backup again, and it's good to go.

I'm trying again tonight; this time I'm following your suggestions. If it's as snappy as people claim it is, it should be worth the trouble. ICS was - but then, I didn't have much trouble installing that at all (much thanks to the HardwareCanucks team for the excellent tutorial).

CriminalMind October 1, 2012 11:51 PM

For whatever reason Calendar kept on destroying my battery - at least that's what it said. When I looked into the runnign apps, Calendar was usually nowhere to be found, and yet when I checked on the battery usage, there it was, hogging up to 70% of my load. I had to charge daily. I'm not used to that for this phone. I can usually go two or three days under moderate usage.

I had to go back, but that in itself was a nightmare. The CMW backup crashed, and then the partition corrupted itself. Almost bricked it. Luckily I had Ti+ store the stuff onto the emmc. Once I got back up and running (back to GB and forward again), I had my phone back in an hour.

I can't tell you how invaluable this thread is now. Going back to post 1 made it easy.

JD October 2, 2012 04:42 AM

I can imagine how going from CM10 back to stock would be problematic. CM10 has recently changed the partition layout once again resulting in your data being wiped (I think the Sept 29 build and forward?).

It seems like it's for the better though since the phone runs a lot smoother now.