Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2012, 07:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Bought a Galaxy Q and going insane.

The Galaxy Q runs 2.2 and has only 200 megs internal storage. I bought it unused on kijiji for $40, so that's the good part. There seems to be a fundamental problem that I can't get around: how do I force apps to install to the sd card? Half of the apps I've installed insist on being on the phone, and with only 200 megs, that means that I am constantly dumping apps, deleting any spare space I can find - just so there is room for incoming texts.

I've tried app2sd and I've deleted app data, but I am always running out of space. Is this a problem with 2.2 (Frodo?)
I am very new to the smartphone world, but I don't understand why apps like Facebook and Maps can't be moved to the sd card. Is there a fix?

mike
Old August 27, 2012, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think you can install apps to the micro sd card because if you unplug the SD card and turn the phone on, it would mess shit up

Not sure if there is some way to make the 200MB partition larger though
Old August 28, 2012, 03:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

To do what you want, you'd need a custom ROM/kernel that allows you to do that. And as Jake said, if that SD card ever is removed or fails, it seriously messes things up.

I think 2.3 (Gingerbread) allows you to move apps to the external SD as well, but it still leaves the APK on the main storage I believe. Just all the data/cache is on the external SD.
Old August 28, 2012, 06:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking the same thing in him needing a custom rom to have a better chance of installing the apps to his SD card.
Old August 28, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Even with custom ROMs most programs do not fully install to SD on any Android version. There are apps to move data even for Froyo if you look for one. APPS2SD comes to mind, but it will still use the internal storage. The older the phone the more careful you need to be about what you install.
Old August 28, 2012, 01:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

In my experience with froyo, it also depends on the app that is being installed. Some apps just will not install on the SD card. Now apps2sd or a custom rom might solve this.