Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2012, 06:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Student Cellphone Plans

I have been trying to look around and it seems that Bella and Rogers so far have nothing stated on their websites for student plans (I've been keeping an eye on them all summer). Am I missing something or are they no longer doing student plans anymore?

I know Rogers has something but it's in store so I have no idea what it is until I physically go in.
Old August 16, 2012, 08:15 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Everyone has these $60 6gb plan promos right now.

Old August 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah the 6GB plans are sort of pointless seeing as I (or my fiancee, pending which phone/cost she may get my current SGS1 and plan) don't really use even close to 500 MB a month (each of our current bandwidths), and needless to say if the phone is with me it'll 95% of the time be on wireless (at home or at the university).
Old August 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yeah the 6GB plans are sort of pointless seeing as I (or my fiancee, pending which phone/cost she may get my current SGS1 and plan) don't really use even close to 500 MB a month (each of our current bandwidths), and needless to say if the phone is with me it'll 95% of the time be on wireless (at home or at the university).
Many people will easily clear over 1GB. It's typically only an extra $5 for 12x more data over 500mb plans.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What's your usage pattern with cellphones anyways in terms of text/talk? If you really want to go to the bottom of the barrel, there's always 7/11 Speakout for the $10 (restricted) data and another $10 for 2500 texts

Old August 16, 2012, 06:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippWhapp View Post
Everyone has these $60 6gb plan promos right now.
Yup, I jumped on Virgin's $60 promo. Got CID and VM thrown in for free too. $2 less than I was paying before, and I get much more.

Granted I never will use anywhere near 6GB, but it's nice to have. Especially with LTE as potentially I could burn through 6GB if I wanted to.

Moblicity/WIND in your area? I know they have promos on for back to school. $25 or $29 for unlimited everything.
Old August 17, 2012, 01:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hi,
I am looking for some advice on getting a Talk/Text plan in Halifax......... CHEAP but useable.
Cell phone complexities makes my head spin
So far I can narrow it down to Virgin's Plan... Any suggestions....

Thanks
Old August 17, 2012, 04:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, like I said wont have any use for such massive bandwidth due to the fact most the time I'll be near somewhere that has wifi incase I really need to download some things. Like I said, I don't come near my current 500MB cap, and my fiancee maybe uses 50MB a month so the extra money spent on that extra bandwidth a complete waste to me.

Also, no mobilicity at all and for Wind there is some coverage however it's on it's away network (which means coverage but it's roaming) so both of those two are out of the running
Old August 17, 2012, 04:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Virgin Mobile or Koodo might be your best options then. There might be some student promos in the coming weeks as we get closer to September.

Koodo has a $40 plan for 150 minutes, 250MB data, unlimited text, CID, VM, unlimited evenings at 5pm and weekends.

Virgin has a similar $40 plan for 150 minutes, 100MB of data, unlimited talk to 5 buddies, unlimited incoming, unlimited evenings at 6pm and weekends, and unlimited text. I believe Virgin also gives you unlimited calling between people on the same account. So you could talk to the fiancee all you want ;)
Old August 17, 2012, 04:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

We don't really talk on the phone much, we never really have throughout our relationship. It's either in person or text/instant messenger.

We only need 1 new plan as my current phone has another year on a rather good contract (bell employee discount through my father, can't do 2 phones though).

I just honestly figured they'd have and be promoting their deals as the school year is only a few weeks away now.