Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Student Cellphone Plans (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/56127-student-cellphone-plans.html)

Arinoth August 16, 2012 07:59 AM

Student Cellphone Plans

I have been trying to look around and it seems that Bella and Rogers so far have nothing stated on their websites for student plans (I've been keeping an eye on them all summer). Am I missing something or are they no longer doing student plans anymore?

I know Rogers has something but it's in store so I have no idea what it is until I physically go in.

WhippWhapp August 16, 2012 09:15 AM

Everyone has these $60 6gb plan promos right now.

Arinoth August 16, 2012 09:23 AM

Yeah the 6GB plans are sort of pointless seeing as I (or my fiancee, pending which phone/cost she may get my current SGS1 and plan) don't really use even close to 500 MB a month (each of our current bandwidths), and needless to say if the phone is with me it'll 95% of the time be on wireless (at home or at the university).

JMCD August 16, 2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 648918)
Yeah the 6GB plans are sort of pointless seeing as I (or my fiancee, pending which phone/cost she may get my current SGS1 and plan) don't really use even close to 500 MB a month (each of our current bandwidths), and needless to say if the phone is with me it'll 95% of the time be on wireless (at home or at the university).

Many people will easily clear over 1GB. It's typically only an extra $5 for 12x more data over 500mb plans.

CroSsFiRe2009 August 16, 2012 02:15 PM

What's your usage pattern with cellphones anyways in terms of text/talk? If you really want to go to the bottom of the barrel, there's always 7/11 Speakout for the $10 (restricted) data and another $10 for 2500 texts

JD August 16, 2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhippWhapp (Post 648915)
Everyone has these $60 6gb plan promos right now.

Yup, I jumped on Virgin's $60 promo. Got CID and VM thrown in for free too. $2 less than I was paying before, and I get much more.

Granted I never will use anywhere near 6GB, but it's nice to have. Especially with LTE as potentially I could burn through 6GB if I wanted to.

Moblicity/WIND in your area? I know they have promos on for back to school. $25 or $29 for unlimited everything.

TheDude August 17, 2012 02:26 AM

Hi,
I am looking for some advice on getting a Talk/Text plan in Halifax......... CHEAP :biggrin: but useable.
Cell phone complexities makes my head spin :sad:
So far I can narrow it down to Virgin's Plan... Any suggestions....

Thanks

Arinoth August 17, 2012 05:19 AM

Yeah, like I said wont have any use for such massive bandwidth due to the fact most the time I'll be near somewhere that has wifi incase I really need to download some things. Like I said, I don't come near my current 500MB cap, and my fiancee maybe uses 50MB a month so the extra money spent on that extra bandwidth a complete waste to me.

Also, no mobilicity at all and for Wind there is some coverage however it's on it's away network (which means coverage but it's roaming) so both of those two are out of the running

JD August 17, 2012 05:49 AM

Virgin Mobile or Koodo might be your best options then. There might be some student promos in the coming weeks as we get closer to September.

Koodo has a $40 plan for 150 minutes, 250MB data, unlimited text, CID, VM, unlimited evenings at 5pm and weekends.

Virgin has a similar $40 plan for 150 minutes, 100MB of data, unlimited talk to 5 buddies, unlimited incoming, unlimited evenings at 6pm and weekends, and unlimited text. I believe Virgin also gives you unlimited calling between people on the same account. So you could talk to the fiancee all you want ;)

Arinoth August 17, 2012 05:51 AM

We don't really talk on the phone much, we never really have throughout our relationship. It's either in person or text/instant messenger.

We only need 1 new plan as my current phone has another year on a rather good contract (bell employee discount through my father, can't do 2 phones though).

I just honestly figured they'd have and be promoting their deals as the school year is only a few weeks away now.