Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2012, 09:52 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Should I get a Playbook?

So I've heard about this site for a while but just now decided to make an account.

I was hoping to get some input on buying a Blackberry Playbook. Essentially, the only things that really matter to me is that I can put emulators on it to play all my Gameboy/Advanced games and all this kind of stuff. I can already do this stuff on my Galaxy S which is why I was wondering about the Playbook.

Even though they don't have IPS screens or MicroSD slots, they seem to be priced pretty good. I was just wondering what kind of cool things I would be able to do with them.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

waste of money
Old August 6, 2012, 12:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Definite was of money, if you want a tablet to do all that, better off getting the Nexus 7.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Garbage, ex fiancee's oldest girl HAD to have one...2 months later it was in a drawer collecting dust, I used it to read books for awhile.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:44 PM
Allstar

tablets are hard enough to justify as is.

i don't know of a single useful feature that is exclusive to the playbook.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i have owned many tablets and they all end up collecting dust they have very little use for most my2cents
Old August 6, 2012, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Tablets have PLENTY of use based on individual usage. The playbook is just the worst of the group.
Old August 6, 2012, 01:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The playbook is not worth it, you really can't do much with it. They claimed you'd get a lot more apps when OS 2.0 came out with android apps, but there really aren't that many at all to make it worth it. You can't video chat with anyone other then another playbooks, when I had one there was no usable app based instant messenger for it either.

If you want to spend a little bit of money on a tablet I'd highly recommend the Nexus 7.
Old August 6, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post

If you want to spend a little bit of money on a tablet I'd highly recommend the Nexus 7.
Yeah, if you want a highly locked down version of a tablet.

I'd strongly suggest passing on the NExus 7, it is far too much Google for my liking. It has great specs for the money but it is very inflexible. Even my Iconia A100 is FAR more flexible and is not that much lower in specs.

There are many new tablets getting ready for deployment. I'd wait 2-3 months and let this cycle begin before buying ANY tablet unless you gotta have one now. Spend a few more bucks than the Nexus 7 though and get something with expandable storage atleast. I can't come to grips with giving Google and more data with the need for the cloud on that device.
Old August 6, 2012, 02:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Yeah, if you want a highly locked down version of a tablet.

I'd strongly suggest passing on the NExus 7, it is far too much Google for my liking. It has great specs for the money but it is very inflexible. Even my Iconia A100 is FAR more flexible and is not that much lower in specs.

There are many new tablets getting ready for deployment. I'd wait 2-3 months and let this cycle begin before buying ANY tablet unless you gotta have one now. Spend a few more bucks than the Nexus 7 though and get something with expandable storage atleast. I can't come to grips with giving Google and more data with the need for the cloud on that device.
Or you could just root/unlock the thing and you have expandable storage. I agree the Nexus 7 isn't perfect, however I don't run a single one of my android devices on stock roms. If I did I wouldn't be running ICS on my Galaxy S getting far better performance, battery and user interface then what it's stuck at (Gingerbread). Same goes with the N7. The mod communities for android is really something that's great, and can make a good product great, but won't fix or correct every little imperfection.

I'm still looking towards the Microsoft Surface when it comes out in the fall as a full functional tablet/portable PC for school, but for what I use my tablets (playbook then nexus 7) at home, it more then meets my needs (the N7).