Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2012, 10:20 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Yeah, if you want a highly locked down version of a tablet.

I'd strongly suggest passing on the NExus 7, it is far too much Google for my liking. It has great specs for the money but it is very inflexible. Even my Iconia A100 is FAR more flexible and is not that much lower in specs.

Old August 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo_9000 View Post
I was hoping to get some input on buying a Blackberry Playbook. Essentially, the only things that really matter to me is that I can put emulators on it to play all my Gameboy/Advanced games and all this kind of stuff. I can already do this stuff on my Galaxy S which is why I was wondering about the Playbook.
There are emulators available out there. Check out crackberry.com and see if what you need is available.
I've owned a Playbook for nearly a year and I do not regret getting one. As you mentioned, they are priced right! There is not as many apps available as there are for a full featured Android device, or an iProduct but there are enough to keep you busy for a while.

Emulators and Emulator News for the Blackberry Playbook - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

The RIM specific features are great additions too if you own a BlackBerry phone and use the bridge.

It's no more locked down than an Apple product.
The 1 major downside to the Playbook is it's the bastard child of tablets. Some main stream apps are not available on it because of that. That can, however, often be overcome by "side loading" the Android Version of the app since the Playbook has an Android Player built in.

Therefor, yes you should get a playbook!
Look on the used market and you'll score yourself a great device for very little money.

Last edited by blaze_125; August 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old August 8, 2012, 05:13 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You've never seen the little USB cases that give even the cheapest tablet a keyboard to type on?
so you're saying the person needed a laptop...?

EDIT:

you asked for restrictions, I pointed out a lack of professional software. You pointed out the limited screen size and poor default interfaces (for work).

Did I say they were useless? no.

Did I infer we could work just fine without tablets? yep.
Old August 9, 2012, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Only software you pointed out was Photoshop. Most laptops (if not all) in the same price range as a Transformer will puke their guts out using Photoshop and such.

Polaris Office for Android is very well featured and cheap, FAR cheaper than any Windows versions of Office (other than Open Office).

Battery life on a Transformer is 15+ hours. No sub $1K laptop out there can compete there.

I can think of many instances where someone needed a tablet over a laptop. Cheap laptops are very limited on versatility. They can do basic work and that is it. A tablet can do that and then a whole lot more. It isn't just a matter of needing one or another, it is a matter of buying something that is far more flexible. Even my A100 can outperform nearly all sub $500 laptops in every way. I can even attach it to a monitor/TV and run 1080p via HDMI for more desktop space. As long as I don't need to do professional editing, there ARE photo editing software available (including an Adobe version).

There are lots of people that can work fine without a PC using a tablet.

Last edited by b1lk1; August 9, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:45 PM
Allstar

I don't own any tablet personally though I have played with a good many. If I was buying a tablet, and for my uses, a Playbook would be a good choice. It depends on your needs vs cost like most things.