Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2012, 05:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I'd strongly suggest passing on the NExus 7, it is far too much Google for my liking. It has great specs for the money but it is very inflexible. Even my Iconia A100 is FAR more flexible and is not that much lower in specs.
Do explain further as I'm curious as to what exactly is locked down on the Nexus 7 compared to any other Android tablet, or even the iPad.

Majority of current Android devices need to have their bootloader unlocked, then you can root them and install custom ROMs onto them. The Nexus 7 is no different.
Old August 6, 2012, 06:22 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Do explain further as I'm curious as to what exactly is locked down on the Nexus 7 compared to any other Android tablet, or even the iPad.

Majority of current Android devices need to have their bootloader unlocked, then you can root them and install custom ROMs onto them. The Nexus 7 is no different.
I am also curious. That is literally the first time I've heard this argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Tablets have PLENTY of use based on individual usage. The playbook is just the worst of the group.
The problem with tablets is that they have restrictions, yet have almost no use-cases that are exclusive to it.

personally, I haven't met a single person who has a 'dustless' tablet.
Old August 6, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Locked down was probably not the exact meaning I was looking for, but I will explain further.

1. Rooting is easy and nearly painless and practically required. I realize the Nexus is able to be rooted.
2. Changing the ROM is dangerous and should not be a requirement to gain full functionality on ANY tablet.
3. Google made the Nexus difficult to use with other storage medium other than the cloud. 90%+ of the people buying tablets have no business unlocking anything in order to have basic features.

Being a tech forum, I understand most of us posting here can do this stuff. Hell, I bricked my Optimus One phone about a dozen times before I really got the hang of it. My problem is that tablets tend to hard brick into paperweights. XDA and Androidtablets.net are full of examples why we shouldn't need to flash anything. I run the stock ICS on my rooted Iconia A100 and love it. I left my wife's Archos G9 80 unrooted and purely stock since she needs no other functionality. I just don't agree with the lack of SD storage. It is a good step forward, but there will be better tablets than this in the near future with a reasonable pricetag.

All I am saying is that there is no reason to leap headfirst at this tablet when there are models better suited for most of us with slightly less grunt. There is little the Nexus 7 can do better than my A100 other than Jellybean and if I were in the mood to mod the A100 I could have Jellybean as well. I almost sold my A100 to buy the Nexus, I just don't see that it would be worth the trouble really. If you don't mind a highly "proprietary" tablet the Nexus 7 sure is great. If you want flexibility without voiding warranties there are alot of better choices to be made.
Old August 6, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I am also curious. That is literally the first time I've heard this argument.

The problem with tablets is that they have restrictions, yet have almost no use-cases that are exclusive to it.

personally, I haven't met a single person who has a 'dustless' tablet.
Explain how tablets are restrictive?
Old August 6, 2012, 07:59 PM
Allstar

you tried doing any work that involves long-form typing on it? how about running photoshop?

theres a reason the most highly regarded 'tablets' are the ASUS Transformer series* **.

*theres definitely more popular tablets out now, but there was a DEFINITE spike in interest after the first unit was released.

**if this is what you need to get work done, just admit you need an actual laptop.
Old August 6, 2012, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
you tried doing any work that involves long-form typing on it? how about running photoshop?

theres a reason the most highly regarded 'tablets' are the ASUS Transformer series* **.

*theres definitely more popular tablets out now, but there was a DEFINITE spike in interest after the first unit was released.

**if this is what you need to get work done, just admit you need an actual laptop.
Yes I'm aware about the fall backs of typing on a tablet. That is why the Transformer series has done so well with the docking station.

Photoshop? Are you serious? That isn't something you use on a tablet. You need desktop space to efficiently do any graphical work.

Your logic is flawed and for most people a tablet suffices just fine. In fact I could easily use a tablet to supplement my desktop in MANY ways.
Old August 7, 2012, 05:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I just don't agree with the lack of SD storage. It is a good step forward, but there will be better tablets than this in the near future with a reasonable pricetag.
Okay, so really it's just a storage issue. That's fair. They should of included USB OTG support out of the box as my SGS3 supports it, kind of strange why they didn't. The only other omission I can think of is HDMI output, again, something my SGS3 is able to do.

The lack of storage is Google's way going forward though. Look at the Galaxy Nexus as well, it has no microSD capability and I'm pretty sure they stated that no Google devices will have external storage. Makes sense since ultimately they make money off their Play Store and services provided, not the device. They want you to use their media streaming services.
Old August 7, 2012, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

As stated, ANY heavy work like that would require desktop space. Most tablets have the power, but it would be foolish to try to manipulate stuff on a 7-10" screen.

As for a keyboard, I guess you never heard of bluetooth? You've never seen the little USB cases that give even the cheapest tablet a keyboard to type on? I had a TF101 and with the dock it was far superior and far more transportable than any laptop in the price range. Tablets are infinitely more versatile as a mobile device than a laptop.

My wife wouldn't touch a PC or laptop but loves her tablet. She doesn't complain about typing on the screen and has even begun to learn how to use it in advanced ways. Tablets are far more appealing to the masses.

People on PC enthusiast forums are mostly short sighted in regards to these types of tech because they prefer their expensive PC's to other devices. Tablets are the future, whether or not anyone likes it. I doubt they will ever fully replace the PC, but most people could get by just fine with a tablet for day to day.
Old August 7, 2012, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo_9000 View Post
I can already do this stuff on my Galaxy S which is why I was wondering about the Playbook.
Back to the OP... It sounds like you're looking at an Android tablet (or maybe even a Windows 8 x86 tablet when they come out)? There's no reason to get a Playbook right now unless you really want some RIM-specific features. That said, I decided on an Acer Iconia instead of a Playbook because of a side-by-side comparison, so you should compare as well.

As for other stuff you can do with a tablet, I personally use mine as a "second monitor" when I'm using a computer and it's my primary way of checking e-mails. As a graduate student, I also use my tablet as my primary means of going through research papers. Reading documents is much more comfortable on a tablet, although as people already mentioned, authoring any document or image editing is still best on a full-sized monitor.
Old August 7, 2012, 07:56 AM
MVP

The Playbook is actually a pretty good complement to Blackberry phones; it works very well with them, is much more convenient to carry than 10" tablets, and is good at tasks where the phone suffers due to the small screen size.

Not much reason to get one unless you're forced to use a BB phone though.