Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2012, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default OS for older netbook?

I just picked up an original acer one with Ubunutu 12.04 installed.
Although it has 1.5GBs RAM, the machine is really sluggish.

I might just throw XP on it, but was wondering if an older build of Ubuntu or Mint might be a better pairing for the hardware I'm dealing with. Ubunutu 8.04 maybe? :)
Old August 5, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yup use mint with lxde and you should be better off. Ubuntu is very graphical compared to lxde or mint.
Old August 5, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you are familiar with Linux then you could also try Arch Linux that way you will only install what you need and want. or even The FreeBSD Project .
but like enaberif posted above you could just install lxde and use that instead of the gnome or KDE desktop
Old August 6, 2012, 07:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestions.
I am going to try Lubuntu and mint, but not sure which variant (I'm torrenting xfce now)
Download - Linux Mint

MATE32-bit64-bitAn edition featuring the MATE desktopYes64-bit only MATE No codecs32-bit64-bitA version without multimedia support. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses*.No64-bit only Cinnamon32-bit64-bitAn edition featuring the Cinnamon desktopYes64-bit only Cinnamon No codecs32-bit64-bitA version without multimedia support. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses*.No64-bit only KDE32-bit64-bitAn edition featuring the KDE desktopYesNo Xfce32-bit64-bitAn edition featuring the Xfce desktopYesNo
Old August 6, 2012, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

an ssd would help a bit. Thats what I didn with an old dell latitude 830 c2d laptop running ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Its alright for internetting, office work, email, and chatting on steam.
Old August 6, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfxmike View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
I am going to try Lubuntu and mint, but not sure which variant (I'm torrenting xfce now)
Download - Linux Mint

MATE32-bit64-bitAn edition featuring the MATE desktopYes64-bit only MATE No codecs32-bit64-bitA version without multimedia support. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses*.No64-bit only Cinnamon32-bit64-bitAn edition featuring the Cinnamon desktopYes64-bit only Cinnamon No codecs32-bit64-bitA version without multimedia support. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses*.No64-bit only KDE32-bit64-bitAn edition featuring the KDE desktopYesNo Xfce32-bit64-bitAn edition featuring the Xfce desktopYesNo
uh what?
Old August 6, 2012, 08:43 PM
Allstar

I don't dislike Pinguy, it's a modded version of Ubuntu.