Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2012, 11:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Android Guide for Ol' Folks?

My mom's been wanting an 'iPhone' for ages but it turns out that she thought that was an all-encompassing term for smartphones.

So I got her a new Nexus S and it'll be arriving to her in a day or two. In the meantime, I want to know if anyone here can recommend a good guide exists to teach older people about Android. It can be a website, PDF or a book.

It just needs to be simple, easy to understand and with big pictures/easy to read diagrams.

Any thoughts?
Old August 2, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sit down and show them how it works is honestly the best way.

Android personally is far easier to use and learn than ios
Old August 2, 2012, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree, Android is very simple and intuitive to use. My wife is tech-illiterate and she managed to figure out her phone and tablet after a few weeks.
Old August 2, 2012, 07:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It will be easier (for her) if you just show here the basic functions first. It will be immensely frustrating for you though lol. My nearly 70 year old grandmother got a galaxy S2 after only having flip phones and she managed to catch on after a few weeks. Now she's using voxer, voice recognition, apps, etc... Also, hide all of the useless stock apps/bloatware in a folder so that there are less things on the screen. Start with the basics of contacts / phone calls / texts.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old August 2, 2012, 07:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I near drove a knife through my abdomen teaching my dad Windows Phone 7 lol.

But I guess nothing beats sitting down and giving a proper demo. I'll just have to re-learn Android since I haven't meaningfully used it since 2.1.
Old August 2, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkRk View Post
So I got her a new Nexus S and it'll be arriving to her in a day or two. In the meantime, I want to know if anyone here can recommend a good guide exists to teach older people about Android. It can be a website, PDF or a book.

Any thoughts?
I got my mother the same phone. She's had cellphones for decades but can now finally text.

She knows how to use Windows 7 so I simply showed her the "taskbar", "system tray", "All programs menu" and any other similarities.

She picked it up pretty quick and now has a 10.2 tab to go with it.
Old August 2, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkRk View Post
I near drove a knife through my abdomen teaching my dad Windows Phone 7 lol.

But I guess nothing beats sitting down and giving a proper demo. I'll just have to re-learn Android since I haven't meaningfully used it since 2.1.
Windows Mobile is an absolute bitch to learn compared to Android. It'll be a cakewalk.
Old August 2, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

In my opinion Windows 7.5 looks way easier than Android, maybe because of the cleaner interface.