Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Android Guide for Ol' Folks? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/55852-android-guide-ol-folks.html)

DkRk August 2, 2012 11:33 AM

Android Guide for Ol' Folks?

My mom's been wanting an 'iPhone' for ages but it turns out that she thought that was an all-encompassing term for smartphones.

So I got her a new Nexus S and it'll be arriving to her in a day or two. In the meantime, I want to know if anyone here can recommend a good guide exists to teach older people about Android. It can be a website, PDF or a book.

It just needs to be simple, easy to understand and with big pictures/easy to read diagrams.

Any thoughts?

enaberif August 2, 2012 01:20 PM

Sit down and show them how it works is honestly the best way.

Android personally is far easier to use and learn than ios

b1lk1 August 2, 2012 02:28 PM

I agree, Android is very simple and intuitive to use. My wife is tech-illiterate and she managed to figure out her phone and tablet after a few weeks.

dustin1706 August 2, 2012 07:38 PM

It will be easier (for her) if you just show here the basic functions first. It will be immensely frustrating for you though lol. My nearly 70 year old grandmother got a galaxy S2 after only having flip phones and she managed to catch on after a few weeks. Now she's using voxer, voice recognition, apps, etc... Also, hide all of the useless stock apps/bloatware in a folder so that there are less things on the screen. Start with the basics of contacts / phone calls / texts.

DkRk August 2, 2012 07:45 PM

I near drove a knife through my abdomen teaching my dad Windows Phone 7 lol.

But I guess nothing beats sitting down and giving a proper demo. I'll just have to re-learn Android since I haven't meaningfully used it since 2.1.

Perineum August 2, 2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DkRk (Post 646063)
So I got her a new Nexus S and it'll be arriving to her in a day or two. In the meantime, I want to know if anyone here can recommend a good guide exists to teach older people about Android. It can be a website, PDF or a book.

Any thoughts?

I got my mother the same phone. She's had cellphones for decades but can now finally text.

She knows how to use Windows 7 so I simply showed her the "taskbar", "system tray", "All programs menu" and any other similarities.

She picked it up pretty quick and now has a 10.2 tab to go with it.

enaberif August 2, 2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DkRk (Post 646198)
I near drove a knife through my abdomen teaching my dad Windows Phone 7 lol.

But I guess nothing beats sitting down and giving a proper demo. I'll just have to re-learn Android since I haven't meaningfully used it since 2.1.

Windows Mobile is an absolute bitch to learn compared to Android. It'll be a cakewalk.

omgwtf August 2, 2012 11:44 PM

In my opinion Windows 7.5 looks way easier than Android, maybe because of the cleaner interface.