Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2012, 02:48 AM
Top Prospect

Default How to know if a smartphone is okay?

Hi guys. This is perhaps a weird question but I have a Windows Phone and I'm pretty sure it's okay, but as with any smartphone it doesn't have any virus protection (as far as I know).

We browse the internet with our smartphones as we do with our regular computers so how can I know if my phone has picked up something on the way? It if it has, can it be fixed?

In general what I'm trying to say is that I'm very pleased with my phone and would like it to continue working like it was new without starting to be slow or do weird stuff or something like that.

Thanks! :-)
Old July 8, 2012, 03:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quite a few anti-virus applications from the big names for Windows Phone 7 available, some free or trial versions, and some available in the Windows Marketplace.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:07 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marute View Post
Hi guys. This is perhaps a weird question but I have a Windows Phone and I'm pretty sure it's okay, but as with any smartphone it doesn't have any virus protection (as far as I know).

We browse the internet with our smartphones as we do with our regular computers so how can I know if my phone has picked up something on the way? It if it has, can it be fixed?

In general what I'm trying to say is that I'm very pleased with my phone and would like it to continue working like it was new without starting to be slow or do weird stuff or something like that.

Thanks! :-)
Have you installed "3D Anti-Terrorist"? If not, you probably don't have a virus, a few minutes of Googling only turned up this single trojan.

If there are any problems, you can get perform a factory reset in the settings menu to return to factory settings. In general, this shouldn't be necessary; apps are sandboxed, so uninstalling leaves the phone in the exact same state as before an app was instaled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
Quite a few anti-virus applications from the big names for Windows Phone 7 available, some free or trial versions, and some available in the Windows Marketplace.
I don't think there are any anti-virus apps available anymore, AVG got pulled after some controversy about it being useless (no real WP viruses, and the app is sandboxed so it can't really scan anything anyway), and it using geo-location to track users in a way specifically disallowed by WP certification guidelines.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Meh your over worrying.

Virus protection on a smartphone is personally just a waste of resources for the phone.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

I have no such thing as 3D Anti-Terrorist on my phone. :-) I know I probably had nothing to worry about but I just wanted to ask anyway. However, it is good to have the factory reset as an opportunity, just in case. Though I doubt it'll ever be necessary. Thanks guys!
Old July 8, 2012, 03:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Kaspersky at least has an anti-virus download still available: Kaspersky Mobile Security
Old July 8, 2012, 04:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
Kaspersky at least has an anti-virus download still available: Kaspersky Mobile Security
That's for Windows Mobile (which actually has viruses), which was superseded by Windows Phone and abandoned several years ago.
Old July 10, 2012, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Stay off the pr0n and you're good!

But seriosuly I wouldnt worry about it. Just keep a back up of your contacts, etc and restore if needed.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
That's for Windows Mobile (which actually has viruses), which was superseded by Windows Phone and abandoned several years ago.
Ack, quite right.