Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Koodo -- damned near impossible to cancel

Well, let's just make dealing with an estate even more fun, shall we?

Mom passed away in April. She had a Koodo cell phone on a $15/month plan -- we originally got it so she could carry it around the house and call one of us if she fell while we were out, then kept it so she could call at her convenience from the care facility when we could no longer support her at home.

I had, admittedly, forgotten about it until I was looking at her accounts and noticed a pre-authorized charge on May 14. Called Koodo on May 17, explained what had happened, and as executor requested cancellation. I was told I'd get a call back within 3-5 business days from the department which handled such. Okay, little annoying to have to wait, but whatever.

May 23 I called again, having received no call. Was told I should get a call the next day.

June 5, called Koodo. Oops, the email to the cancellation department was never sent. Will do that, 3-5 days again. Will get done before next billing cycle.

June 12, I see another pre-authorized charge pop up on the account. Unfortunately, blocking a charge costs $15 so I hadn't put a block on the account.

June 23, called Koodo. Was told the account had been cancelled June 5, effective May 17. Without the PIN, CSRs can't access the account to explain the June 12 charge. Get a supervisor, who also needs the PIN; will get the department which actually has the necessary access to call me Monday or Tuesday.

June 29, CSR tells me the department responsible for cancellations doesn't have a phone number, just an acronym OCD which he doesn't understand. And customer service can't transfer me to that department. Says my call on May 17 was the last day of the billing cycle (runs from 18th to 17th), and by law the phone company gets a month's notice on post-paid plans so they can charge the last month. Assures me the plan is cancelled and no further charges will be forthcoming.

Best part? Took me about 30 seconds to find Telus' CAM OCD/Settlement Department's public phone number. It was in a post on the Howard Forums (telecom discussion site); 1-800-345-2081 CAM OCD/Settlement desk.

-------------------
I hung up because I frustrated, and because I wanted to look over Koodo's legal documents. I can find an order from the CRTC to Telus regarding a customer's death (CRTC 21461 General Tariff, item 122.5):
Quote:
Despite Item 122.4 and Item 110.2 (minimum charge for minimum contract period), when cancellation of service occurs as a result of the circumstances listed below, applicable termination charges will not apply and the customer is responsible only for charges for service to the cancellation date:
(a) In the event of the death of the customer, the cancellation date is the date the Company is notified of the death.
Unfortunately, I can't find a similar CRTC document for Koodo. Best I can do is Koodo's published terms of service, which don't mention death.
Quote:
Can I cancel my service at any time?
Yes. To cancel your service, contact Koodo with the date you want the cancellation to be effective. Cancellation fees may apply
Quote:
How are rate plans and features charged?
Recurring rate plan and feature charges are billed one month in advance, so your monthly bill will have rate plan and feature charges for the next month. If you change your rate plan or features during your billing cycle, the corresponding charges will be applied for the portion of the month during which the new rate plan or feature was active on your account. The recurring monthly charge for the next month will also appear on your bill for the new rate plan or feature.
Is it just my imagination, or does that mean the charge due and levied May 14 would cover the billing period of May 18-June 17? Which means my mother's estate should not have been charged in June?
Old June 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
Allstar

Shame them by using CTV's Steele on Your Side. She practically takes any complains.
Old June 30, 2012, 05:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

File a claim with the CCTS, you'll get your money back I'm pretty sure.
Old June 30, 2012, 10:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

File a claim with the BBB they will help you :)
Old June 30, 2012, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I love Koodo but have to agree that their CS is crap. This is how they save money though. I killed my phone one Friday night and had to wait until Monday for CS to be open so I could get help.
Old July 1, 2012, 02:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry to hear that about your mom. Yeah, I guess they gotta compromise somewhere to get lower pricing.
Old July 1, 2012, 04:47 PM
Trial Member

Smile Please go post this in our communtiy

I am an active participant in Koodo's online community, Please copy and paste your story in the community (which Koodo is also VERY active in). I'm sure they will get your issue resolved.

Chad

Community-powered support for Koodo
Old July 4, 2012, 05:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks, will do.
Old July 17, 2012, 11:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Registered on Koodo's community forums, pasted my initial post over there, and received a near-immediate reply from a Koodo employee.

He acknowledged that the situation I described was not to company expectations, requested some more information, and then acknowledged and apologized for the mistakes made in handling the account closure. I received a call that day to discuss the matter and was offered an entirely satisfactory resolution.

If anyone wants to read through the thread: Damned near impossible to cancel deceased account
Old July 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sorry, in my opinion, it should N-E-V-E-R come to posting on forums, Facebook or any other social media site to get an issue resolved.