LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
And according to the latest "leaked" info it could be out/released tomorrow:

Google Nexus 7 release date tomorrow? | News | TechRadar
Would be nice if it shipped this week, but we'll see.

My mom was cursing her Kobo Touch today though...I have a feeling she's going to want my Nexus 7
Old July 14, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know to much about tablets so this might seem like a stupid question is a tablet pretty much like a laptop only smaller using a different OS , I have been looking into them but not totally sure if it is what I need. I have a server with allot of files on it, Videos to text pdfs and such. I was looking for something that I could take any where in my home and be able access, read my files kind of like having a piece of hard ware able to read my different text files from anywhere in my home. I in a sense kind of star treky.?
Old July 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Apparently gamestop in the states was allowed to sell and are sold out.

Ebuyer in the UK has sent out a round of shipments to pre-orders that arrived on friday. Same goes with Google Play for those who ordered Day 1 (at least in the states). Google has stated that all their pre-orders should be shipped within the next 3 days (as of friday) so hopefully we can get our hands on them next week.

I hope someone ends up with a nice car dock as that's one of the few accessories I'm looking for. Also, if you root your N7 you can use mostly any USB OTG, allowing you to connect an sd card, flash drive, or external hdd for extra on demand storage.
Old July 14, 2012, 01:07 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I don't know to much about tablets so this might seem like a stupid question is a tablet pretty much like a laptop only smaller using a different OS , I have been looking into them but not totally sure if it is what I need. I have a server with allot of files on it, Videos to text pdfs and such. I was looking for something that I could take any where in my home and be able access, read my files kind of like having a piece of hard ware able to read my different text files from anywhere in my home. I in a sense kind of star treky.?
a tablet is exactly like a smart phone. the screen is just bigger.

generally speaking, its easier to access cloud storage than it is to access network files. but android should be able to handle things just fine.
Old July 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Certain Staples stores have been selling them already. NCIX and Memory Express had them available for pickup yesterday too. I see Canada Computers is also showing it in stock at their stores as well, but none of the ones close to me have any left.

However, I dropped by my local Staples today and while he did truthfully say he had them in stock, he wasn't able to sell any until July 23. Went to Best Buy as well and he didn't know when they were coming. He suspected the first week of August for back-to-school season.

It's really hard to determine a real date though. Best Buy/Future Shop have the 19th listed online and the Staples website has the 17th listed for next shipment. Nothing matches up.

Google really dropped the ball on this IMO. They clearly overshot their street date and likely tried to get stores to hold it without enough notice, so most places started selling/shipping them yesterday.

I see no reason to buy hardware from the Play Store in the future. It offers no benefit and you have to pay extreme amounts for shipping. There's no way it costs $20 to ship it. Oh well, lesson learned, next time I'll preorder from a more local store.
Old July 14, 2012, 02:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Certain Staples stores have been selling them already. NCIX and Memory Express had them available for pickup yesterday too. I see Canada Computers is also showing it in stock at their stores as well, but none of the ones close to me have any left.

However, I dropped by my local Staples today and while he did truthfully say he had them in stock, he wasn't able to sell any until July 23. Went to Best Buy as well and he didn't know when they were coming. He suspected the first week of August for back-to-school season.

It's really hard to determine a real date though. Best Buy/Future Shop have the 19th listed online and the Staples website has the 17th listed for next shipment. Nothing matches up.

Google really dropped the ball on this IMO. They clearly overshot their street date and likely tried to get stores to hold it without enough notice, so most places started selling/shipping them yesterday.

I see no reason to buy hardware from the Play Store in the future. It offers no benefit and you have to pay extreme amounts for shipping. There's no way it costs $20 to ship it. Oh well, lesson learned, next time I'll preorder from a more local store.
Amen, on ordering from the Play store again (hardware wise).

The 20$ is probably due to the fact it's essentially next day shipping (it's a 2 day guaranteed ship).

I was reading that Futureshop/Best Buy won't be selling until the end of this month, after everyone else. Regardless Google's screwed over those of us who pre-order from the Play store non-day one as we haven't even gotten shipping information yet while others could walk into a store selling it and pick one up.
Old July 14, 2012, 07:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Regardless Google's screwed over those of us who pre-order from the Play store non-day one as we haven't even gotten shipping information yet while others could walk into a store selling it and pick one up.
From what I've read, even that doesn't hold true. It seems to be almost randomly chosen. And it seems nobody in Canada got theirs shipped from Google on Friday. Only people elsewhere in the world.

I surely hope they are shipping it within Canada too and not from some US warehouse. If I owe any duty when it arrives at my door, I'm going to be rejecting delivery and getting a full refund.
Old July 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
From what I've read, even that doesn't hold true. It seems to be almost randomly chosen. And it seems nobody in Canada got theirs shipped from Google on Friday. Only people elsewhere in the world.

I surely hope they are shipping it within Canada too and not from some US warehouse. If I owe any duty when it arrives at my door, I'm going to be rejecting delivery and getting a full refund.
When I look up my own order it says it was placed to Google in Toronto. Also, I was of the understanding if you pay tax on an item, such as there was tax on the N7, you never get hit with duty, as duty is the government's way of getting the tax back on the item that wasn't taxed.
Old July 15, 2012, 08:57 PM
Rookie

ordered mine the next day. any idea if staples has the $25 google play credit and the transformers movie?
Old July 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
a tablet is exactly like a smart phone. the screen is just bigger.

generally speaking, its easier to access cloud storage than it is to access network files. but android should be able to handle things just fine.
Yes for 95% of the time... my tablet OTOH isn't like a smart phone at all... it's got win7 on it. :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP