Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2012, 10:13 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Define modern phones, my galaxy S claims to have GPS however it runs over cell reception, perhaps that's an older smart phone now?

I'm just weary because of that is all, lose reception lose my gps on my SGS
The Galaxy S has an actual GPS chip, but it's famously problematic, there's a good thread at XDA: [GUIDE] Why Samsung Galaxy S i9000 GPS is inaccurate and how to fix it. Update Jan 11 - xda-developers

I use my wifi-only Galaxy Tab as a GPS device with navteq maps, and it works very well for that - the only time I've lost reception has been in tunnels, or now and then driving in the Rockies cliffs/mountains will get in the way. The Nexus 7 should work similarly well.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm that's the case then I just need to decide between the 8 and 16GB and try to unload my playbook somewhere or to someone.
Old June 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Comparison to Kindle Fire - Google Nexus 7 vs. Amazon Kindle Fire: Small-Screen Tablet Showdown | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Old June 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I've got news for you Google. Your tablet adventures will fail. And with good reason.

Not only do you NOT offer support to your customers but you cancel their orders while claiming incorrect Google Wallet information was submitted. You do so without the decency of offering a Customer Support phone number to get things sorted out. Instead, you ask for picture evidence to be submitted via a driver's license, Passport or permanent resident scan. Are you out of your damn mind? Only an idiot would transmit that kind of info to an organization that doesn't have a fall-back phone number.

Unacceptable.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I've got news for you Google. Your tablet adventures will fail. And with good reason.

Not only do you NOT offer support to your customers but you cancel their orders while claiming incorrect Google Wallet information was submitted. You do so without the decency of offering a Customer Support phone number to get things sorted out. Instead, you ask for picture evidence to be submitted via a driver's license, Passport or permanent resident scan. Are you out of your damn mind? Only an idiot would transmit that kind of info to an organization that doesn't have a fall-back phone number.

Unacceptable.
Really? Wow. I haven't pre-ordered but that definitely turns me off.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:21 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I rarely get pissed off at this kind of stuff but this is customer service 101 here....
Old June 28, 2012, 10:56 PM
MVP

Quote:

Unacceptable.
I'm kind of doubtful consumers are discerning enough to really affect product success based on this.

Buddy of mine recently had his primary gmail account disabled by Google for no reason, which also rendered his phone useless with that account, and it took a week of frantic emails to get the situation resolved.
Old June 29, 2012, 04:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Unacceptable.
Really???

It's not like google has the highest rep when it comes to safeguarding my personal information let alone giving them more....... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

I just placed an order for an 8 GB slate and everything checked out ok, no picture evidence or whatsoever needed.

Old June 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll just wait for my $20 Staples coupon to arrive when it launchers in mid July... That way I can skip the shipping, save myself some money, and keep my PlayBook.

Kinda disappointed there's a limited amount of storage space and no expandable memory card slot, but that was expected.