Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm guess it's from the link, essentially from the google play store.

I'm also curious in the GPS it mentioned. I wonder if it's an actual GPS chip that is used in standard GPS or if it's the "gps" they use in a phone (which is limited to your cell reception). If it's a real GPS chip then this would be great for trips. Hell 100-150$ that alone you'd have to pay for a standard GPS.

Last edited by Arinoth; June 27, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I'm guess it's from the link, essentially from the google play store.
I was hoping to avoid the $20 shipping fee though...

Then it's a $260 8GB tablet
Old June 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I think it's just going to be sold direct from Google, at least till it hits shelves. After that who knows.

Again, would love to know if this has a real gps in it, makes it 100-150$ less to me as I am in the market for a gps soon as well.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:48 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm pretty sure it is an integrated GPS chip since this thing doesn't have the network access necessary for cellular 2G/3G/4G-based location services.

I would have appreciated a rear-facing camera but that's usually the first thing to get FUBAR'd anyways.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

And here I was all ready to grab the Nexus Q for the new minimalist theme I have going on in my livingroom. But at $299? Yikes!
Old June 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I'm also curious in the GPS it mentioned. I wonder if it's an actual GPS chip that is used in standard GPS or if it's the "gps" they use in a phone (which is limited to your cell reception). If it's a real GPS chip then this would be great for trips. Hell 100-150$ that alone you'd have to pay for a standard GPS.
Most modern phones have actual GPS chips, you can use them fine without any cell reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
And here I was all ready to grab the Nexus Q for the new minimalist theme I have going on in my livingroom. But at $299? Yikes!
Saw some news about part of the high price being because it's mostly manufactured in North America rather than China.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also don't forget you get $25 free to spend in the google store. You also get a free movie and some other things like magazines.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 28, 2012, 12:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It's bloody tempting.... I wish I knew if they are going to offer a 10" nexus tablet later this year.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Most modern phones have actual GPS chips, you can use them fine without any cell reception.

Saw some news about part of the high price being because it's mostly manufactured in North America rather than China.
Define modern phones, my galaxy S claims to have GPS however it runs over cell reception, perhaps that's an older smart phone now?

I'm just weary because of that is all, lose reception lose my gps on my SGS
Old June 28, 2012, 06:10 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yeah, looks cool and my Airport Express / Android -PC combo isn't where I want it to be, but $300 is at least $100 more then I would do.