Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2012, 07:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
When are you guys going to come to terms with the fact that Canada is one of the smallest markets on the planet for technology? Do you have any idea just how horrible the market is here for nearly anything? Cars cost 10-30% (or more) more than the US. Cars built in CANADA cost more here than if they are sold in the US. PC hardware is easily 20% more expensive here for a great many things. Autoparts are a minimum 25% more expensive sold here than in the US.

Canada is a SMALL market. This is no surprise.
PC Hardware + a lot of electronics are much cheaper here than in Europe. So is gas. So are a lot of other things.

For a lot/most hardware related stuff, prices in Euro the same as in US dollars (IE --> Nexus 7 = $199/199 (249 for the 16GB one). Even before the crisis, prices were still way higher.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:28 PM
Rookie

what anoys me is that places like staples, futureshop can get the 16gb model before anyone in Canada who ordered from play gets it. Would have thought per-orders ment something. If no one in Canada could get them online or retail, while it sucks I would feel better. I know since I ordered mine the next day that I may not get the first shipment.

I am thinking also about going to futureshop after work and seeing if they have them, if they do I will cancel my order and pick one up.

I was thinking that the $25 credit was a google exclusive, maybe the movie is.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe it's just the movie. The 25$ credit is inside the box, like a gift card type thing, at least that's my understanding.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
PC Hardware + a lot of electronics are much cheaper here than in Europe. So is gas. So are a lot of other things.

For a lot/most hardware related stuff, prices in Euro the same as in US dollars (IE --> Nexus 7 = $199/199 (249 for the 16GB one). Even before the crisis, prices were still way higher.
Ugh....

Europe has VAT which I believe is 24% which explains the major price increases. In fact, hardware is excessively priced in Australia, probably the highest in the world. Either way, both of those markets are HUGE compared to Canada.

As for gas, we can thank the Canadian government for signing NAFTA forcing Canada, who could easily be oil self sufficient, to buy gasoline from the US.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Europe ok, Australia never would have thought that, doing a quick google search we seem to have 10million more people than Australia.
Old July 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

FYI, guys. Get ready to be HUGELY annoyed with the keyboard. There's no way to move or lock the virtual Home button.....which just so happens to be about 1cm below the spacebar. Ugh!
Old July 19, 2012, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just got my order shipped. So maybe Canada isn't getting the shaft and they changed their mind. Or I am just lucky.

Anyways speaking of crazy prices. I know a guy that goes to Brazil to sell Mac Book Pros. He makes enough money to cover the cost of the plane ticket, hotel, and still have money left over for profit.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
MVP

So I sold my Galaxy Tab 10.1 for $250 last week, and have been missing the ereading ability, so swung by my local staples/futureshop to see if they had any Nexus 7 stock today. No luck... I'm not totally sure that I should even bother getting one of these, an ereader might suffice - but if I do get any future Android devices, I'll absolutely be sticking to Nexus devices.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Just got my order shipped. So maybe Canada isn't getting the shaft and they changed their mind. Or I am just lucky.

Anyways speaking of crazy prices. I know a guy that goes to Brazil to sell Mac Book Pros. He makes enough money to cover the cost of the plane ticket, hotel, and still have money left over for profit.
16GB or 8GB Model?
Old July 20, 2012, 06:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I called up the local Futureshop, he told me they got their shipment/stock in early and that they are available to be purchased in store.

If you're looking for the 16GB call your local FS to double check they have any, then go down to it and pick it up. Hell it looks like you can even order it online and pick it up from the store, essentially holding it for you incase they run out of stock.

Currently on the phone waiting to cancel my order with the Play Store.