Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Review Comment Thread

Dell's XPS 13 is what we would call the quintessential Ultrabook. It has one of the slimmest chassis we have seen, uses top shelf materials and incorporates a very quick SSD which makes up for a lack of processor speed. It is nearly perfect for on-the-go users looking for an ultra portable notebook with long battery life. But Dell has made some sacrifices....

Read more here: Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Review
Old June 25, 2012, 09:38 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

So - since you've experienced both the V131, and the XPS 13, for my son going to college next year - which one would you recommend? I've also evaluated the Vostro 3350 and 3360.
Battery life is obviously a priority, and I'm leaning towards a SSD for low power consumption.
Old June 25, 2012, 10:21 AM
Allstar

Those ultrabooks are nice and light but after a friend's experience with a MacBook AIR and my handling one I would not bother personally - nor would I recommend them for an environment where they might get banged around at all. Just not structurally sound enough for my tastes.

In the case of the this machine the lack of a card reader and wired networking make it a no-go for me regardless. And like Sky, I hate high gloss screens.
Old June 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
So - since you've experienced both the V131, and the XPS 13, for my son going to college next year - which one would you recommend? I've also evaluated the Vostro 3350 and 3360.
Battery life is obviously a priority, and I'm leaning towards a SSD for low power consumption.
I know from my university experience i would be going for the xps 13... your laptop gets moved a lot in universiry and you need as much room as you can get for text books. It also gets put to sleep a lot so an SSD is nice but still not essential. Battery life is good however there is a lot of opportunity to plug in your laptop so for me anything above 5 hours battery life is fine.

Overall the v131 isn't using a ULV processor so I would probably go for one of those if he plans on playing any light games.

Last edited by JJThomp; June 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old June 25, 2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Honestly, the V131. I love the XPS 13 for what it is but the V131 has better support (the upgraded 3 year Prosupport warranty is only $120), a matte screen, better connectivity options and it really doesn't weigh all that much more. Plus, the lack of an SSD is made up for by a larger capacity battery.
Old June 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

+1 for Vostro V131.. I have a Latitude, and cannot say how much I love the matte screen vs a glossy screen. Especially if you're son would be using it in college, possibly outdoor sometimes too, a matte screen would be best! ..

Dell Business line of products (Vostro, Latitude etc..) are really built well too..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old June 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Honestly, the V131. I love the XPS 13 for what it is but the V131 has better support (the upgraded 3 year Prosupport warranty is only $120), a matte screen, better connectivity options and it really doesn't weigh all that much more. Plus, the lack of an SSD is made up for by a larger capacity battery.
This is what I personally would do too....BUT I would also swap out the stock HDD and stick in a Seagate 750GB XT. Near SSD perfromance with TONS of room for "university related software". ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 25, 2012, 05:06 PM

There are a few more things I like about the Vostro:

- Fully and easily upgradable
- Included SIM slot for 3G / 4G which is GREAT if your classroom doesn't have WiFi. Supposedly the Canadian models now include the WiMAX module but I can't seem to confirm that.
- Touchpad with physical buttons
- Fingerprint reader for increased security
- An SD card slot

If I were you, I would get the lower-end model ($499 last week) and then upgrade with a 256GB SSD or as Anthony said, the Seagate XT series.
Old June 25, 2012, 06:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks much gentlemen, that sealed the deal. The XT makes a lot of sense, as the SSD (since I have a Vertex 2 on hand already).
Old June 25, 2012, 08:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Along with the V131, I want to throw in that Dell just released the Vostro 3360 series. It's essentially an upgraded V131 and they are priced quite nicely (but not at the V131 level).