Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Windows phone 8's new start screen

I think personnally looks amazing. It may look exceptionally cluttered and buzy at first look but it might actually be in competition with RIM for my next phone now. It looks unique, easy to use, powerful, customizable and no wasted screen space. I can see my easily using that. And with hardware to match I'm personally really looking forward to the next Lumias.

And I really do think the next generation of smartphones really will be a fight between MS and RIM if they pull off their current designs. iOS is far from the most advanced, and Android has always lacked something for me.

Microsoft has a great hand going into this fall, with Surface and WP8, its just too bad Windows8 is so bad for anything but a touch screen.

Microsoft announces new Windows Phone 8 Start Screen with customizable live tile sizes | The Verge
Old June 21, 2012, 06:07 AM
Top Prospect

I agree. It looks really great and you have a lot of different options no matter if you want it like it is now or want to mix it up a bit. Personally I'm just glad that my Lumia 800 will get 7.8 instead of nothing. It would have been a sad sad day otherwise.
Old June 21, 2012, 07:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I see there's a mobile Internet Explorer app for that phone. I wonder if I would be able to install a mobile version of Chrome on it, just to keep my browsing experience linear throughout my range of devices.

But yes, it definately looks really cool, and could very well be a contender for my next phone.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 21, 2012, 11:31 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Microsoft has a great hand going into this fall, with Surface and WP8, its just too bad Windows8 is so bad for anything but a touch screen.
I don't really see this, I've played around a bit with Win8, and Metro is pretty useless with mouse/keyboard, but I simply stay in the desktop all the time and my usage ends up incredibly similar to Win7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I see there's a mobile Internet Explorer app for that phone. I wonder if I would be able to install a mobile version of Chrome on it, just to keep my browsing experience linear throughout my range of devices.
It seems likely, if Google develops a WP8 version of Chrome. The current lack of Chrome for WP is due to the lack of native code support, and not because of policies prohibiting competing apps, like Apple does in iOS.