Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2012, 01:10 AM
Top Prospect

Default WP7.8 <--> WP8

So, Microsoft has announced that current Windows Phone 7.5 devices (referred to as "legacy devices") will not get the Windows Phone 8 update because they won't benefit enough from it to be worth it due to hardware changes.

However, WP7.5 handsets will get Windows Phone 7.8 instead which will feel and look like WP8 but with some functionality left out.

As a Lumia 800 owner, I'm happy that Microsoft decided not to completely forgot the "old" users and in my opinion the new start screen which will be shared across both platforms looks awesome. Hopefully even more WP8 features will make it to WP7.8. But when all that is said, I do have some worries. It has been stated that WP8 apps will not work on WP7.8 which I fear will mean that the WP7.8 platform slowly but definitely will be lacking new content as I suspect most developers will create apps for the newest platform primarily. Other than that, I think it's safe to assume that after the 7.8 update, "legacy devices" will not receive many OS updates whereas the WP8 of course will continue to be developed.

The two new updates should arrive this fall which means that at least for the next four months or so, current Windows Phones will still be the latest and the best. But perhaps it's worth considering, hypothtically, that even before a new major update to WP8 that would really put some distance between it and WP7.8 would launch, so much time will have passed that it would be reasonable to consider getting a new phone anyway.

But what do you guys think of Microsoft's strategy? Are you pleased or disappointed, do you fear for the life of your "legacy device" Windows Phone 7.5?
Old June 21, 2012, 01:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, no matter what MS do their phone software is going to be a failure and always will be, today is the age of android and probably will be for some while, at least thats my 2 cents.
Old June 21, 2012, 01:52 AM
Top Prospect

Well Android is very popular on that we agree. But personally Android never did it for me. I don't know what it is but I'm not a fan. I have to admit that the Lumia 800 is the best phone I'ver ever had and I love WP. But that of course is a matter of personal preferences so lets not turn this into a "who's better" contest hehe
Old June 21, 2012, 04:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Honestly, no matter what MS do their phone software is going to be a failure and always will be, today is the age of android and probably will be for some while, at least thats my 2 cents.
I think it's more of just misconception. If you go and pickup a WP7.5 device, you'll likely be impressed with how smooth and responsive it is. More so than Android IMO.

At the same time though, WP lacks a strong developer backing and definitely isn't as "open" as Android. I guess it's kind of a middle ground between iOS and Android.

Depending on the level of integration with Windows 8, WP8 may become more popular. If it integrates like iOS does with OSX, I could see people picking up a full suite of devices (tablet, laptop/desktop, phone).

From what I'm seeing, MS is going the way of Apple with strict hardware and software integration. Their WP platform has always had strict hardware requirements. Now they're launching their own tablet. I wouldn't be surprised if they launched their own phone with WP8. I guess they figure it's worked so well for Apple, why not do the same?
Old June 21, 2012, 04:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

WP8 will probably integrate quite well along with their Glass app, though they said that app will be available for iOS and Android as to not alienate people that way.

Personally, I don't really like the Tiles they advertised for WP8, I prefer a simplistic start screen myself. Hell I only use maybe half a dozen to a dozen apps, and most of those aren't on a daily basis. It will be interesting to see how this all goes together, I at least rather want the tablet, guess we'll have to see if Microsoft has learned from past mobile mistakes, though it seems they haven't with Win 8 for PCs.
Old June 21, 2012, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One thing i do admire about WP is the battery life, on basically the same hardware as an android handset they'd pull 50-100% longer battery life. I do love the looks of WP, but it doesnt have the customizability android does and probably never will :(
Old June 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marute View Post
But what do you guys think of Microsoft's strategy? Are you pleased or disappointed, do you fear for the life of your "legacy device" Windows Phone 7.5?
Doesn't matter much to me either way, I'll have had my HD7 for close to two years when WP8 comes out, so it will time for me to upgrade anyway.

I'll probably keep my HD7 around as a test device, my apps don't require native code access, so it's easy for me to maintain compatibility with WP7.8/8 as I updade them.