Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default [Resolved] Looking for no-term phone in August

Hi all,

As the title hints to, my 3-year prison sentence with Bell ends early August. Additionally, I have no idea where I'm going after I graduate next year, so I obviously I don't want to imprison myself again. I'm a rookie when it comes to cell phones (I currently have a BlackBerry 8230 CDMA phone so it won't take much to be an upgrade), so here's my admittedly vague questions:

1. How is the experience using unlocked phones?
I'm leaning towards an unlocked phone, but the carriers try to hide the option in the corner of their web pages, so I'm wondering if any of you had deal-breaking experiences with them.

2. Any newly-released phones or up-in-coming phones I should be looking at for an early August purchase?
I budget $325 on the phone before taxes, although I'm willing to go up to $400 for a good unlocked phone.
The phone must have Wi-Fi, and a security mechanism such as encryption so a simple thief would rather wipe the phone and sell it for parts rather than try to get the data. (currently my BB has the setting to factory-reset after 10 bad password tries)
I plan to use the phone for (in descending order) checking e-mail, calendar, note-taking (e.g. simple stuff like shopping list and to-do list), reading social media updates, browser, voice, and occasional MP3/OGG music.

3. [Update] Any recommendations for a provider with 50-100MB data but very little of anything else? I'm thinking to go with Koodo's $20/month + $10 data add-on or Fido's $15/month + $10 data add-on.
I'm not in Mobilicity or Wind's coverage areas, so my choices are the three empires and their derivatives (Rogers/Fido/Chatr, Telus/Koodo, Bell/Virgin). Most of what I do with my phone right now is data (watching the phone struggle to load my e-mails and facepalming at the phone attempting to render a bus schedule).

Feel free to point me to guides and web pages that you trust. I Google-searched a bunch of this before posting but I need a little help going through the astonishing amount of idiotic "advice" that's analogous to recommending DiabloTek PSUs.

Thanks!

Last edited by frontier204; August 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old June 14, 2012, 10:48 PM
MVP

No idea, like potentially not in Canada?

If you don't know which country you'll be in, I'd probably just stick it out with your current phone for the next couple months.

1. Carriers don't sell unlocked phones other than Google Nexus devices - some of them unlock them if you pay a fee, it's usually cheaper to buy an unlock code from ebay or an appropriate site if it's a phone that can be unlocked that way.

2. Not really, next October-December is going to be big for phones, Windows Phone 8, next iphone with iOS6, and Android 5 are all due out in that time frame. For $400 now on kijiji, you can get a Galaxy Nexus, an iphone4 or a Lumia 800.

3. I'm not up to date on specific plans, but it's relatively straight-forward to go through all the sites to compare plans - for that amount of data use, some type of flex data option is probably best. (IIRC, Fido and Koodo/Telus have them, at least). Personally, I'd find 50-100MB to really be pushing the low side of data use on a modern smartphone. Blackberries compress all their data, so you'll automatically use more data for the same tasks, and newer phones are much faster, so you'll get a lot more data consumption done in the same amount of time spent on the phone.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply Mars; I doubt I'll leave the country, although the plan is to take whatever job offer I can get...

You're right that something's brewing with Windows though, which will make a Windows phone much more competitive assuming they don't use paying customers as beta-testers.

EDIT: The upgrade bug just bit me when I thought of staying with my current phone, so I'm sticking to my end of July / beginning of August timeline as to when to purchase. (It's hard enough waiting for desktop Trinity to upgrade my HTPC) Besides my current phone can't use an Internet browser or social media if I depended on it. (I recall a time I needed to quickly look up my doctor's phone number since he didn't properly fill out the form for my bloodwork while I was near the lab - it took four minutes!)

Last edited by frontier204; June 15, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:51 AM
MVP

Yes, if you stick with your current phone, you'll be stuck with Bell.
Old June 20, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm planning to buy up the HTC One V from Koodo near the end of its sale period (don't care about my phone number - no one except the scammers use it to contact me). It looks like it can be unlocked for a low price as well, compared to buying a pre-unlocked phone with similar spec new).
https://shop.koodomobile.com/koodo-c...KHHTCONEV.html
Old June 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mobilicity this weekend.... Check it out!

I believe they have service in Ottawas.
Old June 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm something like 5 km away from Mobilicity's coverage zone
Old June 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
I'm planning to buy up the HTC One V from Koodo near the end of its sale period (don't care about my phone number - no one except the scammers use it to contact me). It looks like it can be unlocked for a low price as well, compared to buying a pre-unlocked phone with similar spec new).
https://shop.koodomobile.com/koodo-c...KHHTCONEV.html
This is what I was just going to suggest!

I still miss HTC's industrial design and overall feel.

Old June 24, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Koodo = YES! I love them, never any hidden fees for me over the last 2 years and the best deals on decent phones.

Mobilicity = NO! Their coverage SUCKS! Seriously, if you ever leave the GTA and I mean just barely, you are out of their coverage.
Old June 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the notes about Koodo. I'll stick to my plan of ordering in 9-10 days assuming the stock of phones doesn't mysteriously disappear. (Even if it does, I assume there'll be another sale in the next period for "back to school" or whatever.)