Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2012, 11:46 PM
Rookie

one thing people dont seem to factor in that i think is huge is security. i used an android for a long time, but it is just not a secure os. apple seems to be too tight.

i've gone to a bold 9900 and it just seems to do the best job without compromising my information. if you decide to do any banking or use emails with sensitive, make sure u make the right choice.

security is ranked: 1) bb 2) ios 3) wp7 4) android

yes there are other os's but these are the players on the field now.

good luck

edit:

i forgot to mention, Virgin mobile has AWESOME customer service and their plans are decent. i am with rogers cause of a grandfathered account but i did activate a line for my mom and boy were they nice.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:23 AM
MVP

What type of security are you talking about?

Every platform other than wp7 (coming in wp8) features disk encryption.

Every platform has similar locking and remote wiping capabilities.

PIN locking with just numbers on every platform is similarly not very effective against law enforcement. (Pull SIM, dump memory chip, brute force PIN on dump.)

Browsers all support similar security features.
Old August 7, 2012, 08:00 PM
Rookie

lots of phone unlocking apps at google play store and security apps also :) :)
Old August 7, 2012, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

ottawaman: What makes you say that Android is an unsecured platform ? Could you come up with at least some examples ? You know that no marrer the security level, every device can be hacked.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I marked the thread as resolved as I already got the phone - Koodo Mobile HTC One V with $20/mon + $5 data saver plan.

You can start a new thread about security if you like - if you use any tool blindly you'll get hurt and smartphones are no exception.