Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2012, 07:23 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Android performance doubled; coming to CM9 soon [Talk Android]

Wow some great video of Android with the bad code removed, and further optimizations added.
Quote:
What do you get when you take stock Android 4.0.4 and double its performance? You get Linaro. Linaro is a build of Android that has many performance enhancements and optimizations, making the OS visibly snappier. In some cases, Linaro manages to double performance over stock Android 4.0, which is impressive since stock Android 4.0 is already fairly snappy over older versions of Android.
The good news is that Linaro’s code has been submitted to CM9, now awaiting approval. Once rolled into CM9′s code, all supported devices will get a great speed boost.
Linaro Is An Android 4.0 Build That Doubles Performance – Submitted To CM9 | TalkAndroid.com

Here is the video below showing the benchmarks being done and an engineer talking about what they did:
Linaro improvements to Android 4.0.4 performance on the Pandaboard TI OMAP4430 platform - YouTube
Fold for team #54196
Old June 10, 2012, 07:31 AM

My System Specs

CM9 is so clunky and slow on the Touchpad. It would be nice to see these improvements moved to CM9.
Old June 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've been running CM9 on a Galaxy S I picked up on Kijiji for about a month now and haven't had really noticed any performance issues. For a phone that's 'too old' to get an official Samsung ICS update, I'm eager to see how this turns out.

Of course, by the time it's out I might have picked up an SIII by then....
Old June 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am BIGTIME skeptical that we will see real world double performance out of Android just with better code. I'll eat my words if I am wrong, but just because a benchmark shows such drastic improvement does not mean all our devices will.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Google caring either, they want to keep all their spyware in Android and there is no doubt this guy removed it all.