Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What Android phone?

Well I will be getting an Android phone soon. I am with Telus and they don't offer many phones. Basically it comes down to the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I am leaning towards the Nexus as I think that UI looks better. The only problem is the Nexus is only 16gb with no expandable storage. I am not sure why anyone would offer a 16Gb only phone.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 6, 2012, 04:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do you NEED more than 16GB?
Old June 6, 2012, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

I would still choose the Galaxy S2 over the S3 but if it was between the S3 and the Nexus I would take the S3.

Nexus is running ICS which the S3 will have soon as well.
16gb believe it or not is a lot for a phone unless you plan on storing umpteen amount of songs and videos its all you need. I have a SD card in mine just because I had a spare lying around.
Old June 6, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I would still choose the Galaxy S2 over the S3 but if it was between the S3 and the Nexus I would take the S3.

Nexus is running ICS which the S3 will have soon as well.
16gb believe it or not is a lot for a phone unless you plan on storing umpteen amount of songs and videos its all you need. I have a SD card in mine just because I had a spare lying around.
Why would you take the S3 over the S2? The S3 is better in every way

And I'd go for the S3. If you don't like the UI, change it. They're very easy to root/ install custom roms, etc. There's going to be TONS for the S3.

You can also change the UI quite a bit with just a different launcher and messaging app, which you don't need to root to do.
Old June 6, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Why would you take the S3 over the S2? The S3 is better in every way

And I'd go for the S3. If you don't like the UI, change it. They're very easy to root/ install custom roms, etc. There's going to be TONS for the S3.
If you mean by hardware wise? This is like saying its better to own a porsche than a honda because it has 300hp more. But in reality do you really need that much more hp? I mean what is it that you do on a phone that requires a quad processor? My S2 running @ 1.7ghz is more than capable of running anything you can imagine.
Old June 6, 2012, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
If you mean by hardware wise? This is like saying its better to own a porsche than a honda because it has 300hp more. But in reality do you really need that much more hp? I mean what is it that you do on a phone that requires a quad processor? My S2 running @ 1.7ghz is more than capable of running anything you can imagine.
Better battery life, LTE, way nicer screen, the new S3 features if they appeal at all to OP, like face stay I think is pretty cool. Better and faster camera.

S2 is a good phone yes, but there's no denying the S3 is a better phone. Also comes preloaded with ICS which is a bonus for non root users.
Old June 6, 2012, 05:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, the LTE version of the S3 has an S4 processor with a better GPU. So yes, id take the S3 LTE variant.

True that the quad S3 might sound overkill on paper, but there are benchmarks floating around that the S4 (Snapdragon) is a better processor than the quad version.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old June 6, 2012, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The version of the S3 we are getting in Canada is not the international quad core version. We are getting the S4 snapdragon dual-core to ensure LTE on them. This is hte same processor as teh HTX One X (if I recall) and benchmark wise they are very similar.

But really all in all I would wait for the 20th and get a S3. From what I have read with regards to previews/reviews the S3 blows the Nexus out of the water in all areas, screen, speed, form factor, UI, everything. Hell if I didn't have a new Razr I would get one, hell I still want one.

Old June 6, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Galaxy S 3 by a long shot if you can afford it. Only get Galaxy Nexus if you can get some kind of hot deal like 1 year contract.
Old June 6, 2012, 06:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Our SGS3 also has 2GB of RAM, international model was only 1GB

Definitely go with the SGS3 if money is of no object. $599 (on Virgin) is the lowest I've seen, whereas the Galaxy Nexus can be had for about $399 (online, unlocked).