Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2012, 12:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
On a bell note here, can't say I've ever once had that problem, and it switches on/off LTE all the time in my condo.

Weird?
Could be certain handsets. Not everyone has the issue but I can guarantee that enough people do that Bell employees here routinely suggest turning LTE off (the lady at the local Bell store also has Note and has her LTE turned off).

Typically I would say try a different radio or modem but I know that I have used the Team Perfection rom like yourself Jake (and used UCLE5 and UCLF6) with the same problem on all of them. Tried replacing SIM cards, etc.

One thing though is that most of the people I can recall were using Bell in Ontario. Are you on Telus or Bell in Calgary? The theory at HowardForums is that its the way Bell has deployed LTE in conjunction with the latest Samsung/Qualcomm modems.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Could be certain handsets. Not everyone has the issue but I can guarantee that enough people do that Bell employees here routinely suggest turning LTE off (the lady at the local Bell store also has Note and has her LTE turned off).

Typically I would say try a different radio or modem but I know that I have used the Team Perfection rom like yourself Jake (and used UCLE5 and UCLF6) with the same problem on all of them. Tried replacing SIM cards, etc.

One thing though is that most of the people I can recall were using Bell in Ontario. Are you on Telus or Bell in Calgary? The theory at HowardForums is that its the way Bell has deployed LTE in conjunction with the latest Samsung/Qualcomm modems.
Bell in Calgary. I guess I'm liucky, don't remember it happening on any of the modems I tried which is basically all of them.

I'm also now using the MUGLF4 modem that sam.jh posted in the canadian roms thread, have had by far the best results with it. Much better battery life and all around better signal. I'm using CM9 now which actually I find to have poor battery life but I like it better lol. Waiting for a CM10 build that doesn't suck

Anyways thread jack! Sorry!
Old August 5, 2012, 01:08 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I may pick up a galaxy S3 today. I also heard that new nexus devices may be on the way soon. The next Nexis phone may be worth the wait.
where did you hear this?
Old August 5, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
where did you hear this?
I've heard november, which isn't soon.
Old August 5, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
I've heard november, which isn't soon.
Ya I heard November but that is soon for me lol. I am used to waiting.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 5, 2012, 06:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I got the S3 last week actually and LTE to HSPA hand-off has been (for the most part) fine. It was doing fine all the way up from Toronto to Kingston, but when I got to Kingston it started acting up. I'd have LTE and then no data service at all until I rebooted. Same goes for the trip home, it wouldn't keep a data connection on the highway. Back in Toronto though, LTE to HSPA seems fine. Haven't had any loss of data connection entirely.

I also have issues with the WiFi on mine, it won't stay connected on the majority of AP's. Sadly though, I took it back to the Virgin store where I bought it and it connected to their AP (SpeedTouch device) fine. They said for further help I either need to call Customer Care (only Mon-Fri, 9-5 which is when I work) or go down to Yonge and Dundas where they have a repair centre.

All in all it's a pretty good device, still wish Samsung would use some soft touch materials along with some actual metal. Glossy plastic just seems so tacky and outdated, especially when it's attempting to look like brushed aluminum. My Nexus 7 has the build quality and feel that I would love in a phone.
Old August 5, 2012, 06:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Keep an eye on it JD...my connection would work for a week or so no problems.

As for the feel of the plastic...I pop cases on my phones anyways so I never notice that type of stuff.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 5, 2012, 06:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Keep an eye on it JD...my connection would work for a week or so no problems.

As for the feel of the plastic...I pop cases on my phones anyways so I never notice that type of stuff.
Yeah we'll see, worse comes to worse I'll just disable LTE. Not the end of the world. Same goes for WiFi, I have 6GB of data now so I don't really need it, just at home for LAN transfers really. I can disable the WiFi power saving though via the service menus which makes the WiFi work fine, it's just an annoying work around.

As for cases, I did put a Case Mate "barely there" case on it which is soft-touch plastic. Makes it a bit less slippery to hold without adding a ton of bulk. But still, Samsung could of used soft-touch plastic on the back like the Nexus 7.
Old August 5, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

And what is going to be different in those new nexus phones vs the old nexus besides the android 5.0 jellybean that will come installed?
Old August 5, 2012, 08:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtf View Post
And what is going to be different in those new nexus phones vs the old nexus besides the android 5.0 jellybean that will come installed?
4.1.1 you mean ;) Jellybean is already available on the Galaxy Nexus anyways.

I figure the only major difference will be LTE support. Maybe quad-core silicon, but I doubt it since I don't believe any of those chips support North American LTE yet.

Maybe it'll be made by Motorola now too? Who knows.