Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 07:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Geeks will be geeks. The online media sites hyped this thing so bad over the last year...I heard the following, seriously:

- 3D display
- flexible OLED
- best camera eva, possibly 16mp
- 2GB ram
- cordless charging

Anything less than this is an epic failure for many nerds who get taunted by the Apple fanbois.
I agree. Android fans completely inflated their expectations of this product. But instead of acknowledging their own shortcomings, they're blaming Samsung.

It's a little unfortunate that people are so jaded and demanding that a phone with four cores - something that would have been unheard of not too long ago - has people screaming.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Seems like the same scenario as apple's last release. Big hype on the interweb rumour mill, but only a slight improvement over the last product. Personally I rarely find myself wishing for any additional features on my SG2. I do wish they'd go a bit thicker on the phones and incorporate a much larger battery. I really prefer plastic for weight and durability and as for colour and finish... I always put an otterbox on my phone anyway, so I don't much care. Apple's glass idea just makes the phone heavy and fragile. Not dissing apple, I just prefer function over form.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old May 4, 2012, 01:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yup still waiting for BB10 or Apollo, android has little appeal. The HTC one x is an amazing device hardware wise, that screen is amazing. This not so much, sure its got expandable storage which is a huge plus but apart from that the HTC is far supior. Feel the one x and then feel the galaxy nexus and you'll see what I mean, this wont change that.

And this is what everyone was expecting wasnt it?
Old May 4, 2012, 06:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Although the hardware isn't the refresh I was hoping for since it lacks LTE, they did a nice job with the OS enhancements.
But they basically pulled an Apple, which is why I think most people are disappointed.

Since the specs are now out for the LTE model, it's using the same S4 processor as the One X, yet it's coming out a couple of months after; that for me is the big disappointment.
I was expecting Samsung to have an LTE radio finally paired with their Exynos processor, but sadly, that's not that case.

Last edited by Eluder; May 4, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sold

https://twitter.com/#!/supercurio/st...49523724439553

"Wolfson Micro WM1811 Audio Hubs | WM1811 | Wolfson Microelectronics 100dB SNR Class W Heapdhone amp output, ReTune DSP, 3x digital interface. Like WM8994 in Galaxy S / Nexus S, except:
1x stereo DAC instead of 2x. 2x 2W Speaker amp instead of 2x 1W Smaller and probably cheaper, same sound quality expected."
Old May 4, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Plastic is ideal for phones, it has give to it. Metal permanently bends, and or if it doesn't bend it transfers a lot more shock to the internal components.

Looks to be a nice phone.

I'm happy with my Samsung Galaxy S 2 X still, but I'd love to have a Note. I only wear cargo pants and my phone is strapped down near my knee, so pocket size is never an issue.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:07 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkRk View Post
I am pleased to see a micro-SD slot in this model. The HTC One X's lack of expandable storage was heartbreaking for me.

The only reason why i didnt get the X. 16GB and only 10GB usable for users?! Like.. c'mon!

How is it that the S3 has 16GB + Micro SD yet the X only has an onboard memory??

I hope the S3 has a good "heft" to it. Phones made out of plastic and is lightweight feels cheap to me. Im going to wait and see a bunch of reviews of the LTE S3 before i make my decision.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old May 6, 2012, 06:12 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Here is a great write-up on the design of the S3, and why they think the lawyers 'designed' the phone:
The Samsung Galaxy S III: The First Smartphone Designed Entirely By Lawyers
Fold for team #54196
Old May 7, 2012, 02:23 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Excerpt from the link above...

Quote:
  • a rectangular product shape with all four corners uniformly rounded;
  • the front surface of the product dominated by a screen surface with black borders;
  • as to the iPhone and iPod touch products, substantial black borders above and below the screen having roughly equal width and narrower black borders on either side of the screen having roughly equal width;
  • as to the iPad product, substantial black borders on all sides being roughly equal in width;
  • a metallic surround framing the perimeter of the top surface;
  • a display of a grid of colorful square icons with uniformly rounded corners; and
  • a bottom row of square icons (the "Springboard") set off from the other icons and that do not change as the other pages of the user interface are viewed.
I find this as one of the ludicrous part of the trademark infringement. The iPhone and iPad isnt the only one that had a black border around its screen. Heck, my HTC Raider has this. So as my Desire HD.

And so are this phones:

HTC One X

Galaxy S2

Galaxy S

HTC Evo 3D

HTC Titan 2

Heck, even the Palm Pre has it...

They couldve offered the S3 with black. Or even to stick it to Apple, id do it Black/grey.

Nonetheless, i dont think the S3 is a bad phone. A worthy upgrade for those that had an Galaxy S, or even an older phone.

Again, ill wait for the LTE version to crop up and base my decision there.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old May 7, 2012, 08:04 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
- cordless charging
I'm surprised no manufacturer has jumped on this yet, I would love to just drop my phone on a charging pad instead of plugging it in every night, and Android/iOS/WP7 are all at the point where I would rarely have to plug it in to my PC for any syncing features.