Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

JD...when flashing, do you just flash on top of the current rom without a wipe? Or do you do some kind of restore (ie Titanium Backup) after a new flash.

When I try new roms, I do a full wipe and a reinstall of all my apps and folders, etc. Its a bit of a pain, but I'm told that a restore causes issues.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Between CM9 versions I never wipe, always flash on top without any issues. If I'm switching between ROMs though, then I'll wipe.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I just switched to SLIM ICS, man it seems faster then CM9
Old June 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I just switched to SLIM ICS, man it seems faster then CM9
Placebo effect ;)

Just like ROMs/Kernels compiled like Linaro. People think they're faster, but benchmarks don't show any gains.

I find CM9 Nightlies + Devil3 kernel (390MB + 100MB ZRAM) with SIO and SmartAssV2 works very nicely. No noticeable lag. Now I don't think I'll have to buy that SGS3
Old July 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Thanks for this thread, helped me get CM9 finally. I'm still a bit of a noob at this and I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with:

1 - how do I change the modem per the instructions here...when I flashed the zip file I didn't see an option to change the modem

2 - is there a better kernel I should be using as I notice that my battery isn't as good as I expected. I have used the battery calibration app which helped improve my battery from draining to being at a comparable level to what I had before I rooted...but I wouldn't say necessarily an improvement thus far

3 - I'm with Virgin and it says Bell on my phone's notification screen...is this anything I need to change? I notice I don't get the texts I used to get from Virgin but wonder if that's just because I rooted.
Old July 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Once you flash the modem via CWM, and it automatically installs and becomes active. You can only have one modem. You can check it under Settings > About phone. It's listed under baseband.

Devil's kernel is pretty good I find but ultimately up to you to decide as there's many choices.

I still get texts from Virgin, probably just hasn't been any sent since you flashed. So having it say Bell definitely isn't an issue. They are the same company anyways.

Glad my thread helped you join the bright side
Old July 24, 2012, 04:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm now waiting for a non-alpha release of Jelly Bean as I absolutely love it on my nexus 7.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Once you flash the modem via CWM, and it automatically installs and becomes active. You can only have one modem. You can check it under Settings > About phone. It's listed under baseband.

Devil's kernel is pretty good I find but ultimately up to you to decide as there's many choices.

I still get texts from Virgin, probably just hasn't been any sent since you flashed. So having it say Bell definitely isn't an issue. They are the same company anyways.

Glad my thread helped you join the bright side
Thanks JD, and your thread really did make it much easier for me...the first time I tried I learned that the Samsung Vibrant really isn't the Vibrant but i9000...

Where do I select which modem - I thought I flashed the whole zip file, no?

Is there somewhere I can find these kernels, specifically the one you're referring to?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Best bet is to look on XDA Developers in the subforum for your phone. In the development section of that subforum, threads for kernels will have [KERNEL] in the titles, and the threads themselves usually tell you what they're compatible with ROM-wise. Also there should be a stickied thread in that subforum that's a directory of some sorts which will have a list of ROMs, kernels, etc.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
Rookie

Thanks. I've come across a problem though...recently I notice my boot times were up to 4+ minutes and now I can't seem to even boot up at all...still stuck at the boot screen the entire time. I had to turn off my phone because it was giving me messages that just about everything had stopped - any ideas?