Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
Trial Member

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for posting these clear and concise instructions!!

Constructive Criticism: I would suggest clarifying the steps for backing up Apps with Titanium backup for newbs like me who apparently didn't do it correctly. I did some kind of backup but evidently not the right stuff because I couldn't restore it once I flashed ICS.

Also, whatever modem came with it seems to work for me as a Virgin Mobile customer, although it shows I'm connected to Bell.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:50 AM
Rookie

Default Recovery Mode

First of all - many thanks to JD for the clear and concise instructions for rooting, flashing and unlocking my i9000m from stock Gingerbread to Jellybean 4.2 - much more stable without the bloatware. So happy about it, I picked up two more i9000m from Craigslist for the family.

The only challenge was matching the JB 4.1/4.2 ROM (CM 10/10.1) with the correct gapps version. If incorrectly matched you could loose the keyboard or enter some crazy loop. It took some trail-and-error to discover that holding the power button and tapping "Reboot" gave me the option of Recover mode (so I can re-flash the correct ROM/gapps combination).

Now that everything is working VERY WELL on JellyBean 4.2 (cm-10.1-20121230-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip + gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip), I'm hesitant to test other nightly builds fearing that I'll not be able to tap "Reboot" into recovery mode - and eventually get locked out.

QUESTION - can anyone give instructions on how to power on (not reboot) the i9000m (with CWM 6.0) into recovery mode using the power, volume and home buttons? I've only managed "Download mode" but haven't figured out "Recovery mode".
Old January 10, 2013, 08:30 PM
Rookie

Default Power On Recovery Mode

For power on recovery mode, I found the answer at cyanogenmod - Galaxy S GT-I9000: how to fix boot to recovery with Volume up+Power? - Android Enthusiasts

Continue hold BOTH (up and down) volume buttons when you power on the i9000m.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Unhappy Odin failed and now phone not recognized on USB

Hello,

I started following the instructions in the first post on my i9000m and Odin failed flashing the CMW recovery. Now my phone is not recognized by Windows/Odin. I can hold the 3 buttons down and still get to download mode though.

I see the "soft-brick" icon (device-yield!-PC).

Interestingly, on Linux, the lsusb command sees the device but will not mount it.

I've tried the following:
  1. Taking the battery out for 45 minutes. Same result - not recognized.
  2. Installing Kies. I could not see the device either.
  3. Uninstalling Kies and uninstall and reinstalling the device manager from the first post. Same result.

Any ideas?

-- edit --

Never mind. Fixed the problem and eventually flashed cm10.1.

Odin kept hanging restoring the stock ROM. After the 3rd try and it hung, I restart the Odin restore without doing a reset and it started from where it hung and, incredibly, completed!

Then I did the prescribed double flash of cm-10.1-20130112-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip and then gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip.

I also flashed the modem Modem_UGKG3_ICS.CM.I9000.zip which appears to correct the weak signal strength upon first boot.

This ROM was initially laggy but appears to improve with usage. I may look for a better version.

This has been one harrowing day of Goggling and searching the XDA forums! Time for that beverage which impairs my judgment!

Last edited by Zippy; January 20, 2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Resolved issue
Old January 20, 2013, 06:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to hear you figured it out! Just out of curiosity, were you using the original Samsung USB cable?
Old January 22, 2013, 03:57 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up I'm very happy now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Glad to hear you figured it out! Just out of curiosity, were you using the original Samsung USB cable?
Yes, it was the original USB cable.

Here are some additional notes and comments:
  1. I think that the main lesson-learned is to be sure that your phone is 100% charged before you start. Mine was around 75% and I read that Odin likes a a full charge. While my phone was soft-bricked, it apparently was still charging and this may have been helpful for my last desperate try when I restarted the stock ROM restoration flash without resetting Odin.
  2. Another lesson-learned is to make sure that your Windows environment is fully up-to-date. It was very annoying when it is installing updates during the many reboots where I was installing/reinstalling drivers/Kies. Somebody please port Odin to Linux!
  3. Speaking of drivers, I found a newer version of the Samsung USB drivers in a file called SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe. Sorry, I don't remember the link. This was the turnaround point for me because my laptop could recognize the device again once I installed this. The Driver Manager in the OP annoyingly installed some Norton tag-along program adding to my confusion.
  4. I was home-free once I got the the original ROM reinstalled and the cyanogen recovery installed. I flash my Nook Color and Nook Tablet with CM10 all the time. I read that one should never perform the full factory reset on the stock SGS ROM as it could brick it so I think that the double flash approach here is a good idea.
  5. I was a little disappointed with the initial performance of the CM10.1 ROM but I'm sure it takes a little while for the ROM and application caches to fill up and "self optimize". After a full day of running the performance is now excellent. I closely monitor the CPU with CPU Spy and OS Monitor no-gmaps apps. Battery usage appears comparable to the stock ROM.
  6. The FM radio is important to me and I installed a Jan 18 development version of Spirit FM. This version resolves the issue of potentially damaging your phone's speaker.
  7. With the initial issues with performance, the Google speach interface was not working (a reported issue with CM10.1 on SGS) and would slow down the system making me reboot even after I upgraded it. But now it is working fine!?
  8. I bumped up the top processor speed from 1000 to 1200MHz. A little while later, the screen went blurry and the phone froze up. Probably why the ROM isn't installed this way by default! Reboot restored to the original setting and no problems since.

I'm now extremely pleased with the upgrade from Gingerbread.

Also, your How-To is very good and the best one for the SGS that I've seen.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by lowfat; January 22, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:41 AM
Trial Member

Also found this guide to be useful and concise. Very convenient to have the rooted CWM firmware and KG3 radio files available like that, so thanks to JD.

A warning to others doing this now and installing the stable CM10: I originally tried to use the latest google apps gapps-jb-20121212, and ignored the !!Not compatible with 4.1.x.!! warning by accident.

I immediately had a problem with the android aosp keyboard repeatedly crashing with a message.

I ended up starting over with odin and the 2.3 GB, because a wipe/factory reset, and wipe of cache folder from the CM10 recovery did not remove or disassociate the incorrect gapps I installed.
Anyway, gapps-jb-20121011 is still the one to use if you are going for CM10 stable.
Also, the Galaxy S Unlock app in google Play works easily and is free.

BTW, I was reluctant to go to JB (android 4.1 for cm10 stable) on the SGS I9000m, having never flashed roms, and hearing about lag. I have found it runs very nicely so far, and Cyanogen Mod or JB (not sure which) really corrects many quirks of android 2.3, such as customizing the drawer icons, laucher icons, improvements to the browser, audio player, sound control, etc, so it was definitely worthwhile to upgrade, and not hard to do at all. The hardest part was trying to determine the pros and cons of the various roms, I was considering Darky, Slim, or CM, still not too sure on the benefits of the others.

Also a question - after having screwed up my first install of CM10 with the newer gapps, how could I have formatted or wiped and then installed CM over again without partitioning and putting 2.3 GB ? (as mentioned above the recovery wipe did not seem to be enough)

Now just have to get swype or swiftkey on here. Also I'm trying to run a ftp server from Win 7 to easily do wireless transfer to the i9000m. The apps I've tried for this have restrictions on file size for the free version, or weird interfaces. What do other people do for this ?

Also, one post above in Zippy's link has the latest spirit FM radio links
Old February 6, 2013, 01:00 PM
Rookie

I'm currently using CM 9.1 on my SGS and after reading the reviews from this topic, I think that I am ready to install the stable build released on 2012-11-13. Thanks a lot for your shares! :)
Old February 24, 2013, 08:05 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up Building my own ROM

[UPDATE] I've boldly (and perhaps foolhardily) built and flashed my own cm-10.1-20130208-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysmtd ROM and it appears to work better than the cm-10.1-20130112-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd which I originally flashed. Both ROMs use gapps-jb-20121212-signed.

I'm looking forward to flashing a new build which now includes Jellybean 4.2.2. If recently noticed a big performance improvement on my Nook Tablet with CM10.1(JB 4.2.2). Of course, flashing my phone is more a serious endeavor than flashing my $250 Nook so I am a lot more careful. I monitor the Galaxy XDA threads for issues and compare the contents of my build with official build as well as pick an opportune time when I don't need the use of my phone.
Old May 20, 2013, 05:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Before I delve into XGA.... I upgraded to 4.2.2 (finally, some battery performance...) without any issues except for the poor modem performance. I don't know which one got installed, but it loses its signal so easily it's a joke. I checked JD's OT about the modems and the Google Drive files, but all seem for ICS, whereas I'm running JB on my SG2S.

Any hints about which files I should be looking for and use?

Tx.