Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
Rookie

Hi JD, thank you for the awesome guide, found it really really useful and wouldn't have dared doing anything to my phone without it, XDA forums are just too intimidating and couldn't find the I9000M.

One little comment before I ask my question, section 2B, step 6 where you click 'start', it kind of failed for me, Odin got stuck on SetupConnection. What I did is:
- Removed the battery
- Started Odin BEFORE trying again
- Connected phone to a different USB port
- Voila the rest of guide was smooth

I followed the guide to the letter, I used the following files:
- cm-9-20120916-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip
- gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Modem_UGKG3_ICS.CM.I9000.zip (I'm with Bell/Virgin in Quebec)

Problem is WIFI doesn't seem to work, I enable it but nothing happens (doesn't show me a list of access points)

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Fridge
Old October 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridge2far View Post
Problem is WIFI doesn't seem to work, I enable it but nothing happens (doesn't show me a list of access points)
WiFi definitely works, it's just that CyanogenMod behaves differently than Samsung's TouchWiz ROM. To connect WiFi, you'll need to go into Settings and do it from there.

I would strongly recommend trying Jellybean as well if you haven't configured your phone too much yet. I've updated the first post with instructions, but it's basically the same just with different files.

Last edited by JD; October 28, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old October 28, 2012, 07:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
WiFi definitely works, it's just that CyanogenMod behaves differently than Samsung's TouchWiz ROM. To connect WiFi, you'll need to go into Settings and do it from there.

I would strongly recommend trying Jellybean as well if you haven't configured your phone too much yet. I've updated the first post with instructions, but it's basically the same just with different files.
GOD I'm so embarrassed, I spend about 4 hours on this WIFI "issue", I even installed 5 different ROMs which all behaved the same way. I just had to click on WIFI which is beside the ON/OFF button, donno, maybe the way my brain works but didn't click for me right away :P

Ps. I prefer CM9 nicer GUI and feels faster.. I'll give it a go for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks a million JD !
Old October 28, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you want to save battery as well.. Install a program called Wi-Fi Matic

It essentially turns on and off Wifi based on Access Points that you have used.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
Rookie

Awesome I'll give it a try!

Ps. Can anyone send a tutorial on how to get/install Swype for our phone?

Found this:
[Apk] Swype v3.26.92.35548 MULTI ALL-RES OEM - xda-developers

But not sure if I just install it and it works / Or.. How to install an APK
Old October 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
Trial Member

Dude, you saved my life. I've just started tinkering in the world of rooting. I was following instructions as best as I could on XDA but ended up bricking my phone (still able to get to download mode). All my searches ended up empty with regards to the Virgin GT-I9000M ... all info is for the I9000 not the M ... argh ... Anyhow thanks alot, great work. My phone is back up with a rooted kernel ...
Old October 29, 2012, 06:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridge2far View Post
Ps. Can anyone send a tutorial on how to get/install Swype for our phone?
Get it direct from Swype: Swype | Text Input for Screens
Old October 30, 2012, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Default Thank you so much for this guide JD!

I followed this guide step by step and everything worked like a charm! I'm a newby at this phone tinkering business and found everything on XDA so confusing and nothing on my I9000M. This saved my day. Thank you!

Uh oh... just realized something. I had done this a couple days ago before JD updated the post on JB vs. ICS and I realized I'd put the ICS google apps on the CM10 JB. Is that gonna be a problem? My phone seems to be running fine....

Last edited by twinkletwilite; October 30, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwilite View Post
I followed this guide step by step and everything worked like a charm! I'm a newby at this phone tinkering business and found everything on XDA so confusing and nothing on my I9000M. This saved my day. Thank you!

Uh oh... just realized something. I had done this a couple days ago before JD updated the post on JB vs. ICS and I realized I'd put the ICS google apps on the CM10 JB. Is that gonna be a problem? My phone seems to be running fine....
I wonder if you can overwrite the app pack by just installing it from the recovery mode.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Get it direct from Swype: Swype | Text Input for Screens
Thank you worked like a charm !