Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2012, 12:58 PM
Rookie

Quick Question. after ICS i cant see my Cam Icon in any where. is it issue or is it hidden somewhere, no option to take picture or make movie.

Thanks
Old September 7, 2012, 06:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There is definitely a "Camera" app. Named precisely that. There's also a quick shortcut if you swipe to the left on the lockscreen too.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:42 AM
Trial Member

JD, thank you for this very good tutorial. I am new to Android and i want to upgrade this gt-i9000m These are my specs:

Firmware ver

Basband version
I9000UGKG3

Kernal Version
2.6.35.7-I9000UGKG3

build number
GINGERBREAD.GKG3

I have two questions:

1. Can I go directly to cm10 ?

2. I am not on Bell, I intent to use unlock for another carrier- wind, should I stay on this GKG3 modem,kernel -suggestions?

Thanks
Old September 8, 2012, 12:31 PM
Rookie

Default ICS or JB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Glad to hear it worked for you

As for my SGS3, since I face WiFi issues (maybe router related, not sure yet), I'm sticking to stock for the time being as it allows me access to the service menus in order to disable the WiFi power saving features which fixes things. Also it seems the Jellybean builds out there are lacking hardware composition so it doesn't run silky smooth as I've tried a few.

That being said, Jellybean on the SGS does work pretty well and I was running it prior to getting my SGS3. You can find it here: [ALPHA][ROM][4.1.1] CyanogenMod 10 for Samsung Galaxy S - xda-developers
Hi JD,

First I would like to thank you for your effort. Very clear and easy to follow.

I never had a reason to root my SGS (Virgin) (or flash a custom ROM) before and was happily running on stock GB (2.3.3). I was intrigued by custom ROMs but never had time to learn how to flash. And then you come alone :).

The reason I stated to look at rooting, was my need to unlock. I will be going to Italy in a few weeks and wanted to use my phone & GPS there with local SIM (I think I can buy Pay-as-you-go kinda SIM there).

So, I followed your guide and got CM9 running just fine. I also unlocked the phone and was able to stick in my wife's Chatr/Rogers SIM (no data though) and it worked. I hope it will work in Italy (I am not sure if I need to change a modem or enable some frequencies via *#*#..... for that?).

My only problem with CM9 is with GPS. It is working but barely, not enough to be useful. I used nightly CM9 build that time. Now I am thinking to go for a stable build. I also noticed a thread on xda [GINGERBREAD][ICS] GPS FIX for Galaxy S - xda-developers regarding GPS fix.

What would you suggest I do here?
  1. Go for JB (CM10 or something else). It sounds like you are now running it on SGS. Is it better then CM9? How would you compare GPS between the two? How about speed & battery life?
  2. Stick with stock GB, root it and then unlock it. GPS does work well, battery is Ok, speed is so-so. I do believe CM9 felt smoother and snappier than stock GB.
  3. Try CM9 again and see if GPS will improve? (well I will be doing just that while waiting for your reply anyways. Practice makes perfect!)

Sorry for all the questions, I almost "broke my arm" digging through xda :).

Thanks in advance.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarco74 View Post
1. Can I go directly to cm10 ?

2. I am not on Bell, I intent to use unlock for another carrier- wind, should I stay on this GKG3 modem,kernel -suggestions?

Thanks
You should be fine to go to CM10 instead of CM9. At the time of writing my guide, CM10 did not exist. Process is the same either way. Make sure your rooted with CWM, then flashing CM9 or CM10 should be effortless. If you have any issues with booting, just try re-flashing CM9/CM10 and that should fix it.

As far as I know, the GT-i9000M is not going to work on WIND. They use AWS which the phone does not support. You'll be constantly in "WIND Away" mode and thus incurring roaming charges. You are stuck with Bell, Rogers, Telus, or their sub-brands, Virgin Mobile, Fido, Koodo. Along with all the other re-sellers like PC Mobile and 7-Eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaliid View Post
So, I followed your guide and got CM9 running just fine. I also unlocked the phone and was able to stick in my wife's Chatr/Rogers SIM (no data though) and it worked. I hope it will work in Italy (I am not sure if I need to change a modem or enable some frequencies via *#*#..... for that?).
Shouldn't need to change any frequencies or modems. I would stick to the modems with "UG" in their names since these are the Bell variants. If you want to play it safe though, download all the modems and keep them on your SD card. Then once you get to Italy, you can flash until you find one that works best.

I think UGJL2 is one of the more popular modems to use. Best combination of signal and GPS quality. But it really depends on location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaliid View Post
My only problem with CM9 is with GPS. It is working but barely, not enough to be useful. I used nightly CM9 build that time. Now I am thinking to go for a stable build. I also noticed a thread on xda [GINGERBREAD][ICS] GPS FIX for Galaxy S - xda-developers regarding GPS fix.

What would you suggest I do here?
  1. Go for JB (CM10 or something else). It sounds like you are now running it on SGS. Is it better then CM9? How would you compare GPS between the two? How about speed & battery life?
  2. Stick with stock GB, root it and then unlock it. GPS does work well, battery is Ok, speed is so-so. I do believe CM9 felt smoother and snappier than stock GB.
  3. Try CM9 again and see if GPS will improve? (well I will be doing just that while waiting for your reply anyways. Practice makes perfect!)
The GPS on the i9000 has never been great. I find if I hold the phone in landscape mode with the home button in my left hand, it works the best. That's my experience at least. You can try flashing that GPS "fix", it simply modifies the GPS config file. Likewise you could grab the "GPS Aids" or similar apps. They basically do the same thing too, but gives you an interface to what settings it changes.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if CM10 is better than CM9. Both are equally stable and offer similar performance, though I still feel CM9 is a bit quicker.

Technically speaking though, the GPS should get better the more you use it as it downloads/caches the positions of the satellites each time.
Old September 8, 2012, 08:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks JD for a quick reply. I did flash CM9 again with another modem and GPS became acceptable, so more modems to try (as you suggest).
Old September 9, 2012, 05:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Does anyone know for certain what frequencies and network protocols the Telus Galaxy S (SGH-T959D) uses?

Might be able to pick one up with a wonky USB port (won't charge off the wall, won't connect with a computer, but will only charge when connected to a computer) for free. Figure $35 to replace the port makes for a good bargain. However, I'd want to use it on the Rogers/Fido network. Far as I can tell the SGH-T959 uses 850, 1900 and 2100 MHz HSPA and has quad-band GSM compatibility, but I'm not completely certain about the frequencies or whether it's HSPA, UMTS, or HSPA+. Remarkably, such information is not included in the manuals from Telus or Samsung. Rogers doesn't provide any sort of compatibility check tool that I can find, and Fido's is wholly outdated for Samsung phones.

And while I'm here -- how difficult is it it to replace the USB port on one of these?
Old September 9, 2012, 10:09 AM
Rookie

I guess you could try following this guide HOW TO: Enable 850Mhz 3G Network Frequency on your Samsung i9000 Galaxy S - Android Forums and it will tell you enabled and supported frequencies.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

AFAIK Telus uses similar frequencies to Bell and Rogers, so I don't foresee any issues.

I've had my phone apart before and assuming you have decent soldering skills, I don't think it should be too hard to replace the port (if that's truly the issue).
Old September 9, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
Does anyone know for certain what frequencies and network protocols the Telus Galaxy S (SGH-T959D) uses?

Might be able to pick one up with a wonky USB port (won't charge off the wall, won't connect with a computer, but will only charge when connected to a computer) for free. Figure $35 to replace the port makes for a good bargain. However, I'd want to use it on the Rogers/Fido network. Far as I can tell the SGH-T959 uses 850, 1900 and 2100 MHz HSPA and has quad-band GSM compatibility, but I'm not completely certain about the frequencies or whether it's HSPA, UMTS, or HSPA+. Remarkably, such information is not included in the manuals from Telus or Samsung. Rogers doesn't provide any sort of compatibility check tool that I can find, and Fido's is wholly outdated for Samsung phones.

And while I'm here -- how difficult is it it to replace the USB port on one of these?
Be careful there. There are HUGE hardware differences differences between the T959 and the T959D/T959P. T959 is the T-Mobile version of the S1 which is mainly meant for networks using the 1700 AWS band (Mobilicity and Wind up here). Meanwhile the T959D is Telus' 3G+ version, and the T959P is Telus' 4G S1. With that said, I used my T959P on Rogers without an issue. The T959D version uses the same bands.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...