LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default 2 technology deaths in 2012

RIM and netbooks

RIM for obvious reasons... infact RIM is so dead, it's not worth this post :p

NETBOOKS need to fall to a pricepoint slightly above free to be attractive. They cost 10% less than a notebook and offer 90% less performance.
Old April 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup, IIRC Asus has stated that after this gen (the AMD based ones) they have NO PLANS for another gen to replace (dont know if that has changed). Sad, if true....but the world has moved on to ultra ultra low voltage versions of "real" processors....and Atom is all but dead.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

RIM is still kicking, but it's definitely not doing well. something that I was wondering is, if they were to downsize and only produce the hardware with android installed on it, could they survive?
Old April 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
RIM is still kicking, but it's definitely not doing well. something that I was wondering is, if they were to downsize and only produce the hardware with android installed on it, could they survive?
If they can't get their stuff turned around for hardware releases and software updates out on time.... Then I would think it makes more sense to go the other way. Android is about as secure as an unlocked car parked in a dark alley on the wrong side of the tracks. Makes no sense from a corporate standpoint, so if they cant pick them selves up I would say licence to Samsung etc to stick Blackberry software on their hardware. Then focus on the software. The problem there is that you are at the mercy of the hardware vendors to produce a decent handset for your platform. The hardware vendors would need to buy into Rim shares or something where they have a vested interest in producing something to compete. Just my 2 cents...
Old April 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree, installing Android on Blackberries would be the last straw and the business world would put the final nail in. They need to get back to basics and what made them famous.
Old April 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I think the only thing of RIMs worth licensing is their BES (blackberry enterprise server) technology. The handfull of BB OS developers is shrinking by the second.... arguably reason number 1 why RIM is in so much trouble now. BES could help andriod with its email security problems?
Old April 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

they could also offer free GPS, 1 gig plans that dont cost an arm and a leg, not charge me to use THIER SERVERS.... Uh anything else? Oh yeh... not charge extra for all the things everybody else offers for free.

Black Berry is dead... move along. Gary Bettman saw the writting on the wall... he just couldnt say nothin.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Free GPS? They already do..
Old April 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

too late dude ive moved on.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

You guys do recall that RIM made a $700-million profit in just the first quarter of 2011, and still has a profit margin of over 33% in the last quarter? It's not doing well in North America, but it's hitting both the low-end/emerging market well (see Indonesian stampedes) and the ridiculously high-end market (see custom models in the UAE).

While it certainly has failed to adapt as quickly as it should have, it's not dying anytime soon.

Last edited by Galcobar; April 30, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Typo